Second Skimmer?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by arthur, Nov 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. arthur

arthur Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 125 mixed reef tank. It's doing pretty good, I think. Im getting more into SPS. I have around 12 fishes. I know I made a mistake when I build a stand and sump. The biggest I could fit in stand is 30 gal. So with the Fuge in sump I did not have enough space for bigger skimmer. I ended up with Octopus XP1000SSS Cone ( in sump of course) . Which is rated up to 125. Rule is you should go one class higher then actuall Volume. Since Im getting into SPS and Id like ad couple more fishes Im worrying about water quality… I don't have space for bigger skimmer. Do you guys have any idea what are my options? If any? HOB for sump as second one? Something else? I have to say that so far my water quality is perfect, I don't have any problems with corals, SPS included. Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

If you have no problem, stop trying to borrow one :)

4. arthur

arthur Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yea. I know. Just want to add maybe couple more fishes and thats why I'm worring…;)

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I agree with servillus, however to throw out some options: 1) use a larger external skimmer of needed 2) don't get more fish 3) add one at a time and see how it goes. Another thing to consider is are the fish you have going to grow, or are they full size?

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Is your skimmer struggling to keep up? How often do you empty your cup?

Not sure another skimmer will provide much of anything.

7. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

+1 to all the above. By adding more fish you may have difficulty exporting all of your nutrients regardless of your skimmer size. It s a great excuse however to get a larger tank. 125s make great sumps by the way!

mdbostwick and Billme like this.
  8. dienerman

+1 to all the above. By adding more fish you may have difficulty exporting all of your nutrients regardless of your skimmer size. It s a great excuse however to get a larger tank. 125s make great sumps by the way! :D

9. Click Here!

10. dienerman

+1 to all the above. By adding more fish you may have difficulty exporting all of your nutrients regardless of your skimmer size. It s a great excuse however to get a larger tank. 125s make great sumps by the way! :D

11. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I am not a fan of HOB skimmers. to risky for overflow and disaster IMO. how often are you emptying the skimmer cup now? Octopus skimmers are great skimmers.

12. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Thanks guys for your opinions. I empty a cup once a week. So it might suggest that bio load is not that big. I have 6 Chromis, 2 Clowns, Bangai Cardinal, Diamond Goby, Solorensis Wrasse, Yellow and Kole Tanks. Biggest around 4 " is Blue Jaw trigger. Maybe I shouldn't think about adding more... maybe small Wrasse..?? Love them.

13. timkatz71

timkatz71 Astrea Snail

if you start having a hard time keeping up with the cup you can get a waste collector, imo stay with what you have, slowly add one fish at a time, im sure you have heard... this hobby is not a race, slowly is better and you will have less problems.