Second guessing myself on a nem

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Tavast, Mar 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Seems I'm the only one wanting to know what is the age of the tank? What are the water parameters?

Those two things can make a big difference. The reason I ask is because I tried it when my tank was young and not mature enough and I had a similar reaction by the anemone which I took back to the store seeing it distressed.

2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Sorry.
    I didn't intend to derail the thread.

4. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

Sorry Steve34, didn't mean to ignore your question, it just didn't matter any more since the nem is already dead :( I'm doing testing today to be sure the params are good before putting anything else in there. It is a rather new tank. It's our second one, but it's only been running since just before Christmas. I'm going to TRY and talk my boyfriend into waiting a while before getting another nem. Try is the operative word there, lol. He really wants his clowns to have a nem. I'm curious, what changes in the tank between a few months and a year that makes it more suitable for nems?

5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

The whole "year mark" for a nem can be argued by many. The reason for the waiting is for your tank to go through all of its early parameter swings. You want your tank to be as stable as possible and it can take a while for that to happen. Every tank is different and the owner should get used to how and what they need to do to make it stable.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

Thanks for keepin' us on track Swisswiss ;) I acclimated the same way I did with my previous 4 nems (3 BTA's and one Sebay) all of which had no trouble acclimating. (2 Bta's I gave to my father-in-law, long story. The other two nems died when the LFS gave me a "reef safe" ich treatment which did not do ANYTHING for the ich but killed my nems and starfish. Yep, same LFS.) Back to acclimation: I put them in a bowl with original water and added a cup of water from the tank every 15 minutes for an hour and a half. I know most people advocate the drip method, but for the last year I have had NO casualties from this method until the last few weeks. I figured "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", ya know? from now on I'm going to stick with BTA's until I get a larger system though, they do seem to do well for me as long as I don't treat the tank.

PS. The torch coral is a great idea! Thanks :) Or maybe a fox coral, the clown I had in my other tank LOVED my fox coral :)

7. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I may be wrong as can be but dont long tentacles like to "attach" to the sand bed? I don't ever recall seeing them attached to rocks.

8. Click Here!

9. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

Thanks for the clarification DBOSHIBBY :) Fortunately with the biocubes, once the tanks were finished cycling there were very little parameter changes on either tank (The first one has been up for just over a year now). But I am running tests today just to be sure :) My PH was a little low in that tank at the time though ,7.8. With something that sensative, I suppose that could be enough to stress it to that point, especially right after acclimation. It's now back to 8.1 where it should be :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  10. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

I believe you're right Tattoolew. It was sitting on the sand bed, however that tank has a rather course sand in it. more like crushed coral. The tube anemone in there seems just fine with it, but they have amucus sleeve on their foot for protection that the Long tentacle's don't have. If I try another it will be a BTA, which do prefer to attatch to rocks, so that should be OK, right?

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

No hate here brother.Just love!!!! 210 gallons of it.LOL

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Just an FYI, while coral are an alternate route for anenomes, most clownfish will end up loving there "fake nem" to death. Most LPS aren't able to cope with constantly being constanly swam into and mouthed by the clownfish, and the fish end up killing it.

1 person likes this.