Second guessing myself on a nem

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Tavast, Mar 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

So you would rather see a fish die in your aquarium then make it quick and almost painless for it?!? That doesn't make sense to me.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

It's OK Grinder37. I was kinda windering if you were joking or not. Since I know you were, it's kinda funny :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

Well, first off I'm a woman, so "acting like a man" is not exactly high on my list of priorities. Secondly, I don't think there's any such thing as being OVERLY compassionate no matter what sex you are. Third IMO the older generations have done a terrible disservice to the male gender by training them from infantcy to believe that the only emotions real men are allowed to have are anger, hate and lust. Why do you suppose most men die 18-23 years younger than women do? Because they repress the majority of their natural feelings to the point of actually making themselves physically ill. Personally I'm glad to see that type of brainwashing fall by the way-side. That being said, you do have a point on the rest of this, and I will give it some thought, thank you for your insight.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You go girl. ;D ;)

"Overly compassionate," WOW just WOW.

1 person likes this.
  6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Seeing as the nem has no brain-heart-nor central nervous system I doubt it *felt* anything by being frozen ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I think folks are speaking at crossed purposes here. It is clearly true that there is very little limit on the amount of care and compassion a person should try to extend to their fellows. It is also true that if we're we're to, for instance, act compassionately to bacteria, we would be paralyzed and incapable of the very basic requirements of existance.

It is therefore possible to view the term over compassionate as outrageous while another reasonably views it as clearly possible. We all make choices about how we draw the line as to what is worthy of our compassion and how much to extend to each. I don't think it's fair, within reasonable bounds, to be judgmental of how others chose to draw those lines.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If anemones did not sense anything they would not retract to changes in water motion or retract from harmful or noxious stimuli. My point was that it did not suffer as an animal with a brain might. The op understood my post. Freezing is not a form of humane euthanasia, which is a common misconception and myth in this hobby. Hopefully someone reading my post would reconsider using that type of euthanasia for more highly evolved animals.

What is your point Nana?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I'll have to disagree with you there.

However, to the OP I can't think of a better way to help put own a critter in my care. Heart's in the right place!

11. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Just read through this. To the op, sorry you had to go through that.:/ I can't even imagine.

And since when we're guys not allowed to feel compassion...? That doesn't make much sense to me.

1 person likes this.
  12. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

lets not change the subject of the thread and instead try and solve the issue, how did you acclimate your fish Tavast? it does indeed seem like there is a problem at your LFS or at least a problem from when you get the fish to when you bring them home (long trip perhaps?) keep an eye on the new fish that arrive in the shop, see how long they "last". and again i cant stress out the importance of this KNOW WHAT YOU BUY! especially in regards to anemones, like i said most are extremely delicate and when they die can crash your whole tank especially if you have small system.

also keep in mind clowns can be hostED (dont hate vinny) by other corals as well, not anemones exclusively. i have two true percula the enjoy both my green BTA and my torch coral, so if youre looking for a cool "fish coral" interaction anemones is not forcibly the only way to go.

but yea.... if i were you id start to reconsider your LFS