Sean's 5G Nano Reef Lagoon Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Seano Hermano, Sep 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Hello folks. Glad to be back. I currently have a 10g standard reef tank. The link is in my signature and a picture of it can be seen in my avatar. Due to various long-term issues during the life of this tank, I plan to dismantle it after replacing it with this new setup.

Tank specs. below:

Display: Gray Poly Restaurant Bus Tub 20" L x 15" W x 5" H (or 7" version, I haven't decided yet). This is cost-effective and gets the job done. The only problem is shipping is twice as much as the actual container. :-/

Much of the equipment will be transferred from my current setup, keeping costs down.

Lighting: 2 or 3 Boost par30 LED bulbs (10w each). I already have these. This is in hopes of good light spread, and less about actual intensity.

Water movement: I currently have 3 Hydor Koralia Nano 425 powerheads and a Taam Rio+ 300. I will pick between these to decide what setup works best when it comes it comes closer to completion.

Filtration: I have the Hydor NanoSkim on my 10g. But I feel like this would likely bee too much (aside from the water depth issue). I will likely go with a small power filter instead, running carbon and macro algae. KISS will definitely be key.

Cabinet: I found out that Home Depot sells random lengths of oak 1x2s for very cheap - like a dollar for 6' long. This will be used to build the cabinet frame. It will likely be clad with old barn wood, but that's not final yet either.

Substrate: undecided. I would like something small so it's easy to clean, but not so small that the powerheads make a sandstorm of it. I have sugarsand right now. I like it except for this factor.

Rock: undecided. But it will be shallow, and I'm hoping to do a small island or two, with some rock along the sides.

ATO: Toms aquatic aqua-lifter dosing pump and bucket?

Dosing: Hopefully that won't be necessary.

Inhabitants: Shrimp and crabs.

Your thoughts and input are appreciated. It's been about 9 months since I've really done heavy research on the hobby. I'm pretty well read, but if there's anything new that would be of help to me for a nano set up, I'm all ears.

P.S. - Along with the KISS theme, this tank will have no SPS (despite my long yearning for them). I would like a nice setup, with just softies and LPS.

Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

4. Seano Hermano

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Very interesting setup. Looking forward to seeing how you put it together.

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Cool! :)
    Have you thought about a ric/mushie/zoa garden, just make a scape a large "piece" (< The piece could be a bunch of RR glued together) plus a few nem shrimps? I think that'd be neat.

7. Seano Hermano

Cleaner shrimp
    Sexy shrimp
    Porcelain crab
    Cleanup Crew

I haven't given much thought to exactly which corals I want. I know I'll have some various zoas, acans, and maybe frogspawn from my 10g. However I do want more zoas, green star polyps, and a hammer coral.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Seano, I'm not understanding the gray tub for the DT? You want it to be mainly a top down type of tank?

10. Seano Hermano

That's the plan for now. I might price out glass just for kicks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  11. Seano Hermano

I'm not sure yet if the front of the tank will be the length (like normal) or the width (so it sticks out into the room a bit, as shown in the image above).

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

oh, ok - I get the concept now and reading the title helped DOH!