Seahorse Vacation

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mrbanggai101, Dec 6, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mrbanggai101

mrbanggai101 Astrea Snail

Hi all
    So I got two seahorses from seahorse source a few months ago and they are doing wonderfully--except for one issue. I need some way to care for them for five days while I am on vacation for Christmas. I had thought I would ask some neighbors, but they will be gone even longer than I will. I was thinking I would maybe bomb the tank with amphipods, but they are very accustomed to eating frozen, to the point that they would rather beg than hunt.
    Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I've been keeping seahorses for about 13 yrs now and I make sure I find someone who can feed them and top up water each day. One feed a day is ok for a couple of days, but longer than that it should be at least twice a day. You could go for two days without any feeding but I'd not push it further than that.
    I don't want to "chance" any other way and end up losing any of my seahorses. It's all too easy to lose a seahorse without making it more likely to happen.
    I portion off frozen mysis so that I have enough portions for each feed needed and all the sitter has to do is thaw one portion, rinse and feed. (and of course, top up the water level daily)
    As I have a lot of tanks, if I'm going to be away for some time, I put all of the seahorses in a 90g tank so the sitter only has to deal with one tank.

4. mrbanggai101

mrbanggai101 Astrea Snail

Yeah I think I'll be calling an lfs that does tank care to ask them to feed them once a day and I will feed them right before I leave and right when I get home. Thanks!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Look at local reef clubs as well. Have a nice vacation. :)

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would be happy to feed your horses but I am not shoveling out the stable.lol☺

Corailline likes this.