SeaClone vs. other

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by vworley, Dec 28, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vworley

vworley Plankton

Hi all,
    I'm looking at buying a new skimmer, and the SeaClone is one model I'm considering. The Red Sea Prism is another.
    My concern with the Sea Clone is the filter/sponge on the intake. I assume this will require regular cleaning. The Prism does not have a sponge on the intake, thus it appears to be less possible maintainence?
    I have a seperate Aqua Clear filter for large debris. Tank is 75 Gallons.
    With this, which skimmer makes for the best choice? Does one do a substancially better job of collecting than the other, or am I looking at the wrong model altogether?
    Also, is their a large difference in ability between the Prism model, and the old sytle made by Red Sea?(Cylinder model) Im really struggling with the assumtion that the Prism can do as good a job, considering the price and size difference.

Thanks for your comments,

Victor

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Hi there and welcome to the group.
    Do you run a sump on your aquarium? If so I would recommend an in sump skimmer.
    The 2 you are talking about are hang on the tank skimmers right?
    One of the most important things to a reef aquarium is the skimmer so I would no go the cheap route here.
    Check out the product review area as this may help you out.
    What size of tank do you have? If you don't have a sump we can help you DIY one up at a small out of the pocket amount for you as many people use rubbermaid tubs under $20 dollars for a sump. The more water volume you have the better off you will be.

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I have a Seaclone 100 and 150 that I am very pleased with. They are HOB models and have worked extremely well for me. I consider them to be a great value.

I am currently running my HOB Seaclone 150 on my sump, but as Nautilus alluded to, I am going with an in sump modelin the future. I will be using a Turbofloater 1000 multi in an in sump configuration.

Hope that helps and good to see you here, welcome![/b]