Seaclone 100

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Scuba, Nov 6, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I just bought one, what is the best way to set it up, all I have goten so far is a lot of bubbles or very little. :-[

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

All skimmers have a break-in period. If you have little or no bioload in your tank there won't be much dissolved organic (DO)material to adhere to the bubbles.

As the DO adheres to the micro bubbles from the venturi that starts at the bottom of the skimmer column, the bubbles exit the top of the column and will create a foam that will travel up the center tube of the collection/skimmate cup. The foam should be brownish green and the skimmate should be a thick sludge. Sounds yummy, eh?

If the skimmate is too watery you need to adjust the gang valve to increase the air to the pump and incease the bubbles from the venturi. You may have to tinker with this for the first couple of weeks until it breaks-in.

I adjust my Seaclones every week after I clean them.

I'll wait for your response and provide any additional information I can.

4. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Thanks Craig

5. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

I too have a seaclone 100 and the way I control the bubbles is by using a good air control valve.

Also, I have found that the key to having the most sludge is to control the air until the water coming out of the skimmer into the tank is just below the top part of the water exit flow. Don't make the water touch the top part of the exit if possible.

If you get too much bubbles entering the tank with this method, increase the amount of air (max it out) for a few hours and then re-set it back down.

Also, don't add any of that water conditioning stuff as that makes the skimmer go bubble fanatic in your tank.

MS

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

No problem Scuba! Good points Mark!

7. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Thanks Mark I will give that a try.

8. Click Here!

9. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i purchased a sea clone a while back on-line. i noticed that the bubbles were few and far between and went to my pet shop to ask about the skimmer . I was told they stopped selling sea clones becaue they are not an adequate skimmer. he sold me a micro bubbler to put on my air pump and now i run that down throgh the tube to bottom. the foam is still brownish green , but the skimmate is watery, but green. before i didnt even get foam.

10. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

My Seaclone has been in use for over two weeks and is working fine, it toke about 4 days for it to start work. I have turned it off while I what for the cycle to complete.

11. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

well mine foams up, but i still get watery skimmate. maybe ill shut it down for a few days...see what happens

12. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

My Seaclone is work fine after it was broken; I have found that the more air I let it take in the dryer the foam is. Have you tried running it without the air valve?