SeaClear acrylic with built in corner overflow

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by eric1980, Apr 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eric1980

eric1980 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I ordered a seaclear 50g aquarium over the weekend with a built in corner overflow box. I initially went in to the store looking for a 40B glass aquarium and was going to drill my own overflow, etc, but I wasn't sure if the bottom of the tank would be tempered or not (and I wanted to put my plumbing going through the bottom). I fell in love with the seaclear and figured why not have them put the overflow in for me as well.

That leads me to my actual questions, does anyone here have any positive or negative experiences with the SeaClear brand? I am greatly struggling with building a stand because I want to keep the width of the stand as close to the width of the tank as possible (for space saving) but I also know that I need some space under one of the back corners of the tank to allow for bulkheads to be installed and most of the tank stand plans/videos online I have seen do not account for this, meaning, that most of the back corner supports would be blocking where the bulkhead fittings, etc. need to be. I did a lot of research on acrylic and also understand that underneath the tank will need some support as well. My initial thoughts are to have half inch thick plywood with a layer of foam on top of that to support the buttom of the tank with a 6" x 6" hole cutout underneath where the bottom corner of the tank is.

Does anyone have any advice, opinions, or ideas before I wrap up my planning and build my stand?

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Only advice I have is give yourself plenty off room under the tank unless your sump is going to be external.

You want to factor in skimmer height and accessibility to remove the cup for cleaning and fan space, sump height etc etc. Do not cut yourself short on planning for everything you may possibly put in the stand. I believe stand space is 1 of the most overlooked aspects of a build and you will regret it if you do not give yourself as much space as possible for maintenance etc..

Just my 2 cents

4. eric1980

Thanks for the reply. I absolutely agree with you 100%. The last tank I had with a sump was 29 gallons (I still have the 29 gallon tank, I just have a canister filter now instead of the sump) but when I had the sump, there was no room for anything else in the stand. Ideally I wanted room for an auto top off reservoir and a spot to put a small refugium external to my sump. I made sure I had plenty of room in this stand design. I was thinking of buying a stand this time through but I feel like I can make something better quality than what the stores have for a lot less money.

I guess my only concern is the back corner where the corner overflow sits.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

If it's a glass tank, you don't need plywood under it.

** Edit- oopps just saw where you said it's a plastic tank.
    Then it would seem easy, cut the area out in the ply for the bulkheads, which are supported by the frame?

I also would NOT put foam under it.

Build one, see the tried and true stand building threads.
    there is a good template by the screename 'rocketengineer' on RC

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  6. eric1980

Thanks for the input Todd, I will definitely have to check out those plans. I only mentioned styrophoam because it was what one of the youtube videos I came across mentioned they were doing.