Seachem stability and cycling

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by SwimsWithFish, Dec 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Do you guys recomend cycling with this? Maybe I should add ammonia instead of a fish?

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

thought u were broke? try a raw shrimp in a filter bag! look it up! your grocery store will prob just give ya one!

4. SwimsWithFish

Haha when I said broke I ment no extra money. I have a couple bucks stashed to get a shrimp or whatever. So you just recomend the classic raw shrimp method?

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

give me you're address and i'll ship ya a few ounces of microbelift to help! my treat! nut it seems like that works! also hit your lfs up for some rubble, they should give it for free to get your business! Just tell them you'll payback as you can!

PM the address so i check it! WARNing it does smell that bad!

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I used SeaChem Stability. I swear by it! Tank was fully cycled within 2 weeks. I had no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate spikes at all! 9 months later and still have never had any :)

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

If your looking to reduce your cycle, the key is cured rock. If the rock isnt cured then there is no beneficial bacteria to break down nitrites into nitrates and so on. Ive used stability, i feel like a sucker buying it, if you dont know what your adding exactly....DON'T.
    buy your rock, cure it and seed it with some good live rock in a tub ahead of time. I just throw a lil bit of food in the tank and it helps the cycle, i like starting it with fish food, it adds the exact and normal base conditions of the ammonia you will keep adding, versus table shrimp with add in decay and other bad types of compounds to your water, thats just my 2 cents

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

The key is beneficial bacteria. Which can be found in many different forms. Not just cured rock. SeaChem Stability adds this beneficial bacteria. As does Mb7 just to name another. Sorry you feel like a sucker :( it worked great for me :)

10. SwimsWithFish

That's very nice of you but I think I'll just throw in a shrimpy and see if I can borrow a couple bucks for a pound of rubble:). Would it work if I just did rubble and no shrimp? Ehh that would probably be a week cycle.

11. SwimsWithFish

So you just added a fish with the product? I just read on the Seachem website that with Seachem stability you can add fish the first day as long as you add the product for 7 days. Is this Recomended?

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I wouldn't. If you think about it, you would still cycling with a fish lol, which we all consider a no, no. I know your excited to add critters to your tank, but better to play it safe then sorry. Plus you're low on money, and you wouldn't want to have to replace a fish right off the bat. ;D Go slow and let it grow right.