Seachem SeaGel anyone??

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by MoJoe, Feb 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I was wondering if anyone runs Seachem SeaGel in their reactor? If so, how much do you use and how has it worked for you? I know it's aluminum based so changing it out when exhausted is uber important so it doesn't leach back into the system.

Seachem. SeaGel

Thanks for any input,

Joe

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Good morning Joe, I did try this product (I have been a little bored and playing lately). I replaced my chemi pure elite for this a few months back - I could tell no difference other than this seemed to pack really tightly and eventually limited my flow in my reactor.

I wonder if I used it long term if I would have an opinion one way or the other - a one time use for a couple months netted me no results to share other than....no issues ;-)

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks Ghost, how much did you run in the reactor?

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Blind guess....probably about 4-5 cups

6. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Morning Joe.........sea gel is what i used in my reactor when i made it, i am getting ready to change it for the first time today, it seems to be doing its job and i have not seen any problems with the running of this chemical so far, as for the packing that crimson ghost had mentioned i will post back after i change it out today and give you an update on how it worked for me.

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Cool, thanks guys, I should be getting it today and wanted to try it in my reactor but just wanted to make sure I don't over or under fill it. I'm glad neither of you have noticed anything negative about it, I'm extremely interested to see how well it will work on my tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I am torn between chemi pure elite, seagel or warner marine phospar. I will be keeping an eye on this post!

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I hear that, I was initially going to go the Chemi Pure Elite route but I have read the media was a bit small and problematic for a reactor. The reason I ordered the Seachem SeaGel is because I found these two reviews on MarineDepot that seemed promising. Hopefully, they're not planted reviews from Seachem employees :)

Comments: This product is perfect to use in a phosguard/carbon reactor. It is the only product I have found that both removes phosphates AND has the beneficial power of activated carbon. The price is great and I can't think of one negative thing to say about Seachem SeaGel.

Comments: The Seachem SeaGel, in conjunction with a Phosban Reactor has out performed several product lines on the market that I have tried… In just a few weeks of use, this product has kept phosphate un-registerable, live rock clear of algae, and the water clear. I have been a user of 'Seachem' products for over 9 years; maintained various exotic freshwater tanks setups for species that demand the HIGHEST water quality. Now, that I have expanded my interest over to saltwater, Seachem has made a 'true believer’.

11. dorian

dorian Feather Duster

Hi MoJoe.

I have never used Seagel in any of my reactors, or Chem Pure Elite. I have used ROWAPhos and PhosGuard with success though in this setting.

And I use Chem Pure Elite as described by manufacturer recommendation with great success in my nano that I have no sump, refuge, or rxtr.

I hope this helps a little. Maybe. ;):-/

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thx, every little bit helps :).

I have some ROWA and know it's great stuff but wanted to dabble in the Seachem before I use the ROWA.