Seachem phosguard/carbon experiences

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by nanomania, May 10, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Hey guys, im from India and the only product available for po4 removal is phosguard. I know and iv read amny forums and issues about aluminium leaching... seachem states that at ph above 8, leaching aluminium wont be an issue. Many have been using phosguard in mixed reef setups without any issue... what about matrix carbon? Is that good too? Im not intrested in seagel coz id rather used them seperately instead of mixing.

Would like to know about the experiences if any1s using them successfully in mixed reefs.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I use Phosguard with no problems. You will need to monitor your PO4 more closely, though. Once Phosguard is spent, it will leach the PO4 back into your tank where GFO does not.

I have used Matrix carbon. It works fine also, but for the price point, I prefer Black Diamond.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    DSC reef likes this.
  4. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

yep I just ran through the phosguard leaching out the po4 back into my tank dramatically and spiked it stupidly.

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Matrix carbon is a high grade carbon and I can't really report anything bad about it. I use it passively in a bag. If I feel I need to really pull something bad out of the water I'll use the High capacity carbons in a reactor. I feel like that's too aggressive though for every day use so the matrix in a bag/high flow area works.

6. nanomania

Well im more concerned about phosguard... for carbon i just wana use it for chems and bad smell just incase coz i find purigen far better than carbon for removing yellowness from water... this wil reduce the use of carbon... seachem claims that phosguard doesnt leach po4 back... that means they are lieing?

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

My understanding is that phosguard will leach back only after it becomes saturated. Somehow I came to the conclusion that if I change it every 4 weeks it should be fine.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

10. nanomania

So since how long uv been using phosguard?

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

About 18 months

12. nanomania