seachem paraguard

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by rphman, Jun 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rphman

rphman Astrea Snail

my local fish store says they use seachem paraguard at first site of a sick fish..they said paraguard is reef/coral/anenome safe...anybody use this before in a tank with corals/anenomes?

thanks
    Wade

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Wade

I have not used this but I checked the Seachem site but it does not say it OK with corals/ inverts etc - it does say "OK in marine tanks"

I also picked a bottle up at my LFS centre on Sunday but they had over stickered the labels with Chinese label so I was unable to read any information from the bottle

may be worth posting the question on the sea chem sponsors site as they do monitor posts there

Steve

4. rphman

rphman Astrea Snail

this is from seachem support forums:
    my local fish store said they use it in their tanks with inverts and coral...
    they did say they treat the tank for a week then do a large water change...
    im stuck..to use or not use????

Wade,

We do not recommend it to be reef safe, and quarantining is the best option. We have, however, had customers use it in their reef tank with no ill effects, but again, we do not recommend it. Thanks for your post and have a great day!

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
    Seachem Support Forums

5. steve wright

well I have just posted same question to them on here for you

what reason at present do you want/ or considering using it?

there may be totally reef safe alternatives to the one your considering

Im not saying the product is not reef safe - but Seachem are honestly telling you that they do not claim it to be reef safe - and they dont recomend it

Steve

6. steve wright

hey wade

seachem replied to us with this

Thanks for posting! We do not market or recommend ParaGuard as reef/invert/coral safe as it would be extremely difficult to test it on every known species of the reef environment under all water parameters. However, we have had people use it in their reef tanks and have had no problems, while others have encountered problems. Using ParaGuard in a QT tank is the best option, when possible. If you do decide to use it in your main tank, we stress caution. Start out with 1/4 dose and observe how your corals/inverts react. If they seem to tolerate the dosing then slowly increase up to no more than the prescribed amount on the label. If you need to get rid of ParaGuard quickly, simply turn on your skimmer or chemical filtration (carbon). I hope this was helpful and please let us know if we can be of any further assistance! Have a great day!

Steve

7. NikeLV

NikeLV Plankton

hey steve, hey wade!
    I see the both of you have gotten the product Seachem Paraguard and I am in need of medication for ICH, Marine Velvet, and any other parasites that may be lurking on my 2 new clownfish and coral beauty angelfish I just got from my LFS. Is Seachem ParaGuard effective against parasites like Ich, etc.? Does it work like Seachem says it does? I will be using it as a 1 hour dip before entering them to the main tank from their 2 weeks stay at the quarantine tank resort ;). I am currently medicating the 3 fishes in the QT with ICH-X; by Hikari.

Please give me your reviews on the product! thank you!