Seabae Anemone or??

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by bluepill, Mar 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bluepill

bluepill Plankton

Hey guys. I am new to 3reef!

I just bought a anemone about 10 days ago. I have been trying to find what the name of it, but don't know. It seems like to be an Seabae. would you take a look for me please? it's got pale pink body and pale purple dots at the tip.

please see the following pictures

It started on the top of the rock and now it is hiding its butt under the rock.

I tried to feed it with brine and mysis shrimp.........and even chopped defrosted prawn that I eat. It doesn't seem to take any of it. The tips grab the shrimp but it doesn't put it into its mouth......any suggestion of how to solve this problem??

The clowns are new. just got them today! very excited now

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

It looks like it could be a sebae.
    That tank looks awful young, how long has it been up :confused: What kind of lighting do you have?
    If its not taking food, it's either stressing or just plain not hungry.

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

you need to take that back...a seabae takes pristine water conditions and much more lighting than you have in your 8 gallon biocube (I think that is what you have...if your was the post I read)

What will happen is that it is going to die and will poison and kill everything in your tank.

Seabea is one of the hardest ones to keep IMO, require a ton of light and a much bigger and stable system then you have.

Again, I would recommend taking it back and getting some starter corals...polyps, zoos, mushrooms etc. (actually get store credit so you tank can handle the load that was recently added witht he clowns)

It is common... many of us (MYSELF INCLUDED) get excited and see something and dont realize (and store doesnt tell us) the requirement of the animal. I would personally not recommend ANY aneomone for that size tank..even if it was a tank that was well established.

6. DarthClownfish

DarthClownfish Flamingo Tongue

Sebaes should be kept by experts only, and a nano system is too small for any of the host anemones.

7. bluepill

bluepill Plankton

The lighting is:

18W 10K Daylight (9")
    18W Actinic 03 Blue (9")

Is it definitely a Sebae? not a Condy right?

My tank is very new, yes. 3.5 months now. Buying the anemone is not with consideration. I think all of us have done something like this before and probably has learned from our mistakes.

I only started learning about anemone AFTER I bought it. I am trying my best to keep the water good. There's a bit of ammonia now.....0.1. I assume it was caused of the left over food that was not taken by the anemone. I bought some cleaning crew. 3 hermit crabs and 3 snails to do the job. Should I do water change once 3 days or 1 week now?

I can see that an anemone is not easy to keep. I don't really care about the money that I can get from trading it in. I am not the type of person who gives up easily either. So, I want to try my best to keep it, even though there is a really high chance of it dying sometime soon. I want to wait for a bit to see. it seems quite healthy though, despite the fact that it is not really eating.

10 Acre. Thanks for the write up. Would you consider mine being pale white? I thought it is very much pale-pink. not brown for sure though. Why would you say it is stressed? from the sign of not taking food?

I know clowns will either host the anemone or not. How long will it take to for me to know that?

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I can tell by looking at it that it's not healthy dude. Just take it back. I have personally had a sebea wipe out an entire tank. It's not fun.

10. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

You really need to consider taking that animal back, if you keep it you won't give up on it, it is just going to die. Not to sound harsh or anything, but anemone's need pristine water conditions, better lighting than you have, and a stable environment. In all honesty(NOT to be mean) I would say you have none of the above right now, your tank is just too unstable. Take it from everyone else and take it back. Right now it is a ticking time bomb just waiting to crash your tank when it dies, an anemone shouldn't even be considered unless your tank is at least a year old with good lighting and parameters. Again, I am just trying to help you out, please take the advice from everyone and take that guy back, get store credit, and grab some easy beginner polyps. I have seen far too many people wanting a nemo and anemone because of that movie and just end up throwing it all away when the nem dies.

11. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

The anemone will die, it will kill _EVERYTHING_ in your tank. You will have to tear the tank down, scrub everything and re-assemble it before any fish will survive in your tank.

Don't be a fool.

12. BloodyShirt

BloodyShirt Fire Worm

Way to be a buzz kill.. My sand shark egg is doing just dandy in my 3g pico.. so put that in your pipe and smoke it

1 person likes this.