Sea Spider (Pycnogonid)?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Linda, Sep 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

I'm trying to figure out if there has been a sea spider living (and eating) by button polyp. In a earlier post, "Hair Algae on My Buttons" it was suggested that it could be Cyano or hair algae.

Tonight with a soft toothbrush, I painstakingly removed the "whatever it is" - there was much more than I thought and it was very, very fine. Of course, I knocked the piece off the LR and as it was swirling briefly in the water and the current, I saw for just a brief moment what looked like a white spider :eek: .Very small, roundish, and really WHITE - not transparent, but hospital white. Now that the "whatever it is" has been removed, for the most part, it appears that some of the polyps have disappeared -- being eaten. maybe?

I'm pretty confident that he was eaten soon thereafter, for his presence did not go unnoticed by the tang, clown, goby and the shrimp. Hope one of them got to enjoy a good meal. But, just in case, I'm looking for answers.

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

it was probably a tiny white brittle star.they only get about an inch across and have very thin legs.harmless.the tiny white stars with fat legs are not always as safe for your reef.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Here are some pics of sea spiders

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Oh, I really didn't need to see that last one. Gives me the heebies.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Just a ocean going grand daddy long legs :) I Bet it taste like chicken

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Well, I don't care much for land spiders either. They make me scream like a gurl.

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i did'nt need to see that

10. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

I'll NEVER eat chicken again!

I roamed around last night looking at pictures and nothing I saw resembled the critter in my tank. It's body was very round, a bit smaller than a pencil eraser (about 3/16" of an inch), with stubby little legs (maybe 3 or 4 on each side). And REALLY WHITE! Clearly, not a sea spider, whew..... But whatever it is, could it be eating my button polyps - little bastrd?!

By the way, thanks for not asking me to post a picture! :p