Sea horses in my 135g

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by browntrout, Oct 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

I would have to agree with every one who thinks that you and your LFS are reckless 100%. This has the horribly familiar ring to it.
    Have you read about the Lionfish in a 11.5 gallon tank? The owner was just as hostile as you and was absolutely sure that everyone who advised him against it was wrong and that he would be successful. He said it was doing great and that it would thrive.
    Not too much later he was posting asking for help because the poor abused creature was going blind. We dont know if the unfortunate shadow of a beauty finally passed from its misery, but the OP stopped posting.
    Keep in mind that while there are exceptions to the rule, it does not mean that the rule is completely broken. Of course any healthy creature is going to look good when first put into unfit housing. Its over the long run when you see the luster gone form the eyes and their bodies turn frail.
    I would believe 200 over 1 if it meant keeping my critters happy and healthy any day. I would heed their words of caution rather than snub a nose in hostility.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

this OP has promised to update us if they live or die (promises promises)... I'm hoping he'll be posting in this thread for quite a while... fingers crossed...

4. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

So now I am hostile?

I don't see how if these seahorses are thriving I am being cruel?

Ped I will keep this thread updated mainly for you, at least you seem a little more open minded than others.

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I think a lot of us are hoping for the best. I don't think anyone wants them to die just to prove they are right. Their just giving you some warning. I for one hope they live long happy lives. :)

6. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

At one time people didn't believe the earth was round :eek:

7. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

I really hope they survive as well. I don't wish failure on any one, only the will to be wise.
    I call you hostile as you seemed to lash out at any one and everyone who had any sort of warning to give you. Never once did I call you cruel.
    I do hope you stick to your word and please continue to post. I am very interested and hopeful that you will be an exception to the rule.
    Just please promise that if they start to falter, you will get them to a proper aquarium. Seahorses hold a special place in my heart as they are so delicate and gentle. I don't ever want to hear of one doing poorly.
    Best of Luck Browntrout. I do hope I haven't fully offended you. I apologize for any negativity I showed you, I just really care about their well being.

8. Click Here!

9. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

The unfortunate thing about this thread is that many reading it will make the decision to keep seahorses under similar circumstances.
    While browntrout may succeed in his endevour, many many more WILL fail, costing the lives of perhaps hundreds of seahorses.
    As seahorse breeding is steadily finding better ways, hopefully we someday won't have to have concerns about them, but first we have to overcome the major hurdle in their susceptibility to bacterial infestation.

1 person likes this.
  10. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Again you have already assumed that my circumstances are wrong or bad or even worse animal cruelity. These were not just some random horses I bought at abc petshop. They were tank raised horses that were in a similar environment since they were babies. If you can educate yourself you might actually be able to do what others love to tell you is impossible or "the exception to the rule" as I type I know of 4 people total who have these horses THRIVING in the same type of tank setup. It's not a fluke.

Soon as I see these guys start looking bad the will be taken out of my display and put into a lovely refuge under my tank.

Im not hostile towards anyone here. If anything people are TELLING me what will happen rather than giving ADVICE.

Thanks for the input. Im done posting in this thread other than to give future updates. Thanks Ryan

11. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

That section underlined is not only the definition of hostility, but a rude insult as well.
    No one here is wishing you ill luck. No one here wants you to fail at all. If they didn't care about the horses they would not have posted. The point is we want them to thrive, which is the reason we all have tried to caution you.
    Please try to understand everyone's good intentions and try to be less defensive.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I think if anyone actually reads the whole thread they'll get the point that in most of our minds this probably won't work and is more of an experiment that we are following...

If a seahorse newb reads this thread and gets the idea this can be done, well, they've skipped most of the posts... I don't really think there's concern there.

Now, if in 4 months from now, the thread is still being updated with pics of healthy horses and someone gets the idea they can do it... well, that's the point.

Even *if* he's successful with this, it's not that he simply threw these in and prayed...

it seems to me a lot of research was done, the horses were monitored a long time in a similar environment before being purchased, etc.

So even if this is successful, it will be due to the amount of work put in and the careful selection of specific horses that seem to already be OK in this environment.

I still don't think it will work but I do acknowledge and tap my hat to the effort of the horse selection that was given for this particular habitat. I think if he has any chance at all, that chance comes from that careful selection of individual and specific specimens.

I would like an updated pic, BTW. ;);)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.