Sea horses in my 135g

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by browntrout, Oct 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

First off I would just like to say thanks to the people that had some positive posts. I would also like to thank the few people who actually have HANDS on experience with sea horses for there advice and experience. As far as some of the others it's obvious they drank a big glass of hateraide and jumped in with the "I know it all comments" that is to be expected after all they must have READ it and somewhere right? Life is too short to let people on a internet forum push you over the edge. In reality im usally the guy getting other irritated ;) This is an awesome forum and I gained a hell of a lot of knowledge from here. I never even owned a fresh water tank let alone a salt tank before I bought my first 75 and since it's born date I have been a sponge learning everything I can.

Now for some updates. Talk about timing. Today I woke up and could not find one of my seahorses in the tank, after looking around with a flashlight I saw one of them had gotten stuck to the overflow box I quickley scooped him up and he is now residing in my sump. I also took the other seahorse out and put him in my sump as well.

From the short time I had these guys in my tank I noticed a few things. Most people state they are picky eaters and need to be feed 3 times a day. Well that would end up leading to high nitrates even in a nice established aquarium. My feeding methods seemed to work just fine. I was amazed to see them eat such big pieces of mysis shrimp.

Second My tank has some good flow in some areas and some really mellow flow in others. It didn't take long for these guys to find places they likes. Here is the real kicker. At times these guys will be hanging out on the bottom looking like they are just downing some beers and all of a sudden it looks like they just shot up some speed. BAM they would take off and be all over the tank, that ended up being a bad thing as they would always get too close to my overflow boxes. If you ask me they actually looked like they had fun swimming up to my return lines and getting swept across the tank and back down to the bottom.

I didn't buy these horses with the intention of housing them in a sump. Not much point in that for me, I really don't like laying on my side on the floor to check them out, also being 6'3" doesn't help. I will more than likely just be taking these guys back to the LFS.

I do believe that I could have kept these guys for quite some time in my big tank. One of the biggest dangers were my overflow boxes I tried a few things to help but at the end of the day it was only going to be a matter of time till they got stuck in them.

I have not housed them long enough to give any other examples of how they might have faired such as starving, disease etc...

If nobody went against the grain and tried new things how boring would this world be? If Michael Jordon quit basketball after getting cut from his highschool team basketball would never have been the same. I can go on and on with this type of talk. Anyways that's the latest update I have as of now. Thanks to those who have followed and behaved in a mature manner.

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

K+ for the honesty of this response. I hope you don't get a lot of "I told you so" emails. It was a learning experience for you and for some of us here, and at least you have the integrity to post honest accounts of your experiences and to return the fish to the store.

Having read your account, I will not change my plan to set up a species tank for seahorses (although I would have loved to be able to have one in my reef tank). But it was an interesting account nonetheless.

4. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

I shouldn't receive one "I told you so" yet that is. Not one person said "dude your seahorses are going to die by getting stuck to the overflow box"

It was all the same. They will startve. Your SG is to High. Your water temp is too High. Your other fish will attack them. Im not going to say that might not have happened in the future. I only know what has happened and none of those occured.

Some people emailed me link about GBD. It's pretty obvious that was not an issue I had encountered yet. These are neat creatures, and like I stated the biggest problem I have as I type is keeping them away from my overflows. Not easy to do.

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

trying new things is just that. trying something NEW! You tried something that many people have tried before you and failed time after time. I equate this to some dude jumping off of a cliff just wondering if somehow he can fly. I mean "who knows if we can fly if you don't try new things" right??

1 person likes this.
  6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

D we finnaly agree on something LOL

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

The HOB overflows on my 125 are totally covered by the top bracing around my tank, do you think a horse would still somehow get stuck in mine? the wife has been bugging me ever since I started this tank for a sea horse, and they are in abundance in a saltwater river about 3 miles from my house.

~Will.

8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

I dont think id ever try non tank raised seahorses those are way more likely to parish in your tank then tank raised ones....i think if u did that your basically giving them a death sentence

10. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

I don't think he was asking you for advice. You are the biggest offender in this thread of adding your .02 where it is not needed. You need an ego check big time.

As to the original question by the previous poster. I am not an expert by any means on this subject so I would be the last person to ask. It is known that seahorses are slow swimmers so any time they near a current that they cannot swim away from will lead to disasters.

My dad taught me there are 3 types of people in this world

1. People who make things happen
    2. people who watch people make things happen
    3. people who don't have a clue what's happening.

Pick your category and enjoy life.

11. oceanparadise1

LOL didnt u read Ds statement. Its perfect and sorry but if you post on a thread ur asking everyones thoughts and no i dont need an ego check you do. You where told many times this wasnt going to work for many reason, and u flame people for trying to help you........reread what daniel said.......it makes perfect sense

1 person likes this.
  12. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Maybee it's because you don't have a job currently and are living out of your wifes/fiance (you change the status us periodically) purse, I don't know. I didn't ask you for any ADVICE period. My thread was for viewing hence the titel "Seashorses in my 135"

Not.."Help with my seahorses"
    Not.."do you think this will work"

Yada yada yada. Reality check you are the guy in here patting yourself on the back about getting karma (what are you 12 internet karma :cheesy::cheesy:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.