Sea horses in my 135g

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by browntrout, Oct 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Picked up 2 of these cool little sea horses this weekend. They are tank raised and eat mysis shrimp and whatever else I feed the tank. So far so good, im really digging them. Only issue I have had so far is they keep going into my overflow boxes. I made a little cover so that will not happen anymore. They are really cool to watch

[​IMG]

FTS about 2months old now

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Good luck with them. I recently asked whether I could have a seahorse in my 90g, and the answer was overwhelmingly NO. The main problems - 1) Temperature - even tropical seahorses don't like it much warmer than 73 degrees, from what I've read. 2) Other fish may pick on them (eg. tangs, damsels, clowns, etc.). 3) They may need continuous feedings of small portions of live foods. 4) Flow - they like a much lower flow rate than is present in most reef set-ups.

Ultimately I decided not to get one. But since you already have yours, please keep us up-to-date on how it goes. If you manage to keep yours happy, I may reconsider.

4. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Trust me. I read the same stuff you just mentioned. One of my local fish shop owners has been in the hobby for 40years and like he puts it. Everything you see in a salt water tank at one point was considered IMPOSSIBLE.

He said I will be able to sit back and laugh about all the seahorse stories while mine thrive. They have basically picked out a few spots in my tank where the flow is low and they just chill. They also climb on my rock and eat copepods and go after my mysis when I feed.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Your lfs is being very irresponsible. Seahorses do not belong in a community/reef tank. I doubt that they'll do very well for you. :( Is it possible for you to set up a separate tank for them? There is no way they're going to be able to get enough to eat with reef tank water flow as well as all those fish competing for food.

6. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Thoes are kewl i would like a few myself someday...!!

Best of luck....

7. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

I disagree. I turn my pumps of when I feed. They easily catch mysis and gobble it up. Look him up shilligans aquarium is calimesa CA. To many people belive alot of the myths they read on forums. He has been keeping them for years. So far not a single fish has picked on them. They chill out eating pods and foods.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Hoss if in 40yrs of experience your LFS expert does not understand the natural habitat of the sea horse thats all I'd need to know about what he does not know ..

As for laughing I know he was as you left the store ! I'd suggest that you find out about their natural habitat and special needs , then you will know more then the LFS guy with his 40 yrs of experience !

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm basing my statements on my experience with keeping seahorses, not on what I've read on the internet. Since you seem to be set on having these non-reef fish in your reef tank, I'll just unsubscribe from your thread and wish you success.

11. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Natural habitat? Give me a break, how many of us truly have a 100% natural habitat for every type of fish we house.

As long as these horses are eating and thriving I see nothing wrong with it. I spent 40 bucks for the pair. Ive also spent 100's of dollars at this store. Really think he was laughing as I left the store? Not to smart for him to lie and sell me soemthing and loose a customer who spends alot of money.

Like I said too many people belive alot of myths on forums.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I do wish you luck.

They are very cool.

I hope it works out.

I hope you do not mysteriously stop posting about them in a few weeks :-/ If they survive, keep posting... but if they die, please post that here too... it would be good data to have around here.

People do tend to believe myths on forums... too many people listen to their LFS too though... as can be seen in the giant fish in tiny tanks, aiptasia for sell at $5 a polyp, being sold 5 fish all at once, so on and so forth...

I would trust 3reef over someone that is trying to sell me something any day of the week...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.