Sea Hare?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by packagerat, Aug 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. packagerat

packagerat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I Have had my refugium setup now for about 3 weeks and this guy was out poking around this morning just before lights out. I am assuming a sea hare, Will he be ok in the fuge or should I move him to display? Are there bad types of sea hares?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

Could be a nudi ? Where did it come from ? hitcher?

4. packagerat

Yea, he either came from reefcleaners.com or my lfs had given me a ball of cheto

5. ericd

ericd Astrea Snail

6. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

It does look like a little bitty sea hare. I bought one and it did an amazing job with the algae, but after a few weeks it dissapeared. I never found it, even with moving all the rocks. It was the size of my fist, I had never seen one so big. My water never spiked, so I am not sure what happened to it. I hope you have better luck with yours.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

If it is a sea hare you will want to find a bunch of people in your area to share it. From what I understand, no one tank can really support one..they will starve to death. THere is simply not enough algea to keep it going. One of the stores I go to actually has a "revolving" sea hare. People will borrow it and bring it back in for the next person to use.
    Plus I understand that they can get really big, really fast, thus increasing the amt of food they need

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

10. packagerat

Thanks for all the help.:) I like the idea of sharing it. Not to much on just letting somthing die. Will check with my lfs

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Thats awesome. I was out on a field trip (TA'd for a college marine course) and the class found one the size of a football, pretty cool.

I have also heard that there are serious feeding problems, but since its so tiny... it should be ok for a while.

12. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

We do that, rent them out. It looks like a Aplysia californica .They will bury themselves, and camouflage very well so you can go a week or two without seeing them. They are toxic, if they are harassed or get sucked into a power head they can nuke a tank. Pretty rare, but does happen and usually affect only fish. If this happens use lots of carbon. If they just starve or die from poor acclimation (should be about 3 hours at least) you just have a big slimy blob to remove. I had one die in a 5 gallon nano with no problem, left the window open and cooled too much.:(