Sea Hare?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by packagerat, Aug 4, 2008.

1. packagerat

packagerat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I Have had my refugium setup now for about 3 weeks and this guy was out poking around this morning just before lights out. I am assuming a sea hare, Will he be ok in the fuge or should I move him to display? Are there bad types of sea hares?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Click Here!

3. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

Could be a nudi ? Where did it come from ? hitcher?
  4. packagerat

Yea, he either came from reefcleaners.com or my lfs had given me a ball of cheto
  5. ericd

ericd Astrea Snail

6. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

It does look like a little bitty sea hare. I bought one and it did an amazing job with the algae, but after a few weeks it dissapeared. I never found it, even with moving all the rocks. It was the size of my fist, I had never seen one so big. My water never spiked, so I am not sure what happened to it. I hope you have better luck with yours.
  7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

If it is a sea hare you will want to find a bunch of people in your area to share it. From what I understand, no one tank can really support one..they will starve to death. THere is simply not enough algea to keep it going. One of the stores I go to actually has a "revolving" sea hare. People will borrow it and bring it back in for the next person to use.
    Plus I understand that they can get really big, really fast, thus increasing the amt of food they need
    1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Very Cool....
  10. packagerat

Thanks for all the help.:) I like the idea of sharing it. Not to much on just letting somthing die. Will check with my lfs
  11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Thats awesome. I was out on a field trip (TA'd for a college marine course) and the class found one the size of a football, pretty cool.

I have also heard that there are serious feeding problems, but since its so tiny... it should be ok for a while.
  12. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

We do that, rent them out. It looks like a Aplysia californica .They will bury themselves, and camouflage very well so you can go a week or two without seeing them. They are toxic, if they are harassed or get sucked into a power head they can nuke a tank. Pretty rare, but does happen and usually affect only fish. If this happens use lots of carbon. If they just starve or die from poor acclimation (should be about 3 hours at least) you just have a big slimy blob to remove. I had one die in a 5 gallon nano with no problem, left the window open and cooled too much.:(