Sea Hare???

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Crabby Jim, Apr 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Does anyone have one of these in a reef tank ? and if so what is the deal with them ? feeding reqirements etc. I was thinking about getting a few to deal with my macro algea (maidens hair ) problem.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't have one, but, acclimation recommended is 2+ hours. Also, once macro is gone they will die. Seems to be an acceptable purchase without regards to death. They will eventually starve and create a hell of a mess(toxins) in aquarium. I recommend alternative solutions unless, you are ok with it dying.

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Like mission said the big thing is that they are BIG eaters... I had one for about 3 months in my 12 gallon nano dx.. I would guess it starved because I ended up with a ball on slime and a dead rose tipped bta... I did use one in my 5.5but only for about 3 days then returned it to my buddies lfs....

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Oh, almost forgot, I would say there reef safe but there good at knocking over rock work......

6. Lmecher

Lmecher Plankton

I have a major hair algea problem. I bought 2 sea hares and I see them everywhere on the glass and rocks everywhere except on the hair algea. It's been about a month. Then I decided to try a couple of Hawaiin cowries. In about a weeks time my hair algea has been reduced by about 1/2. Forget the hares go with Hawaiin cowries. Here is where I got them. Hope it helps.
    Detail Page
    BTW I was shocked at the size they were sold as small but they were huge over a inch and a half in length.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Cowries, they aint reef safe.......

8. Click Here!

9. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

;)I would have to take a Kantian perspective here, I think if you are going to just use them as a means without any regard to the fact you know it will die, there are other ways to cure you hair issue... IMO

10. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

As everyone else said they will eat all your algae than need more food. I had one in my frag tank to clean up everything than was going to pass it on to another reefer, but it decided to check out my Seio...ugh....Didn't think he could fit his entire mouth in one of those little slots. Anyways if you did get one try and find another reefer that might want to clean there tank up.

11. Lmecher

Lmecher Plankton

I read aquaboy's post and it got me thinking,if you click the link you'll see I got my cowries for Pacific East Aquaculture. Where it says "reef safe" they have "yes usually" which leads me to believe it should not be a zoa mower. I have been loosing large numbers of zoas on several colonies. I had problem with nudies but havent found any in weeks. I thought I still had a problem cause I am still loosing them. Well I looked into my tank and saw one large cowrie on top of some zoas. I pulled it out and he still had a hold of one, he had it detached from the rock. Well so much for "reef safe" "yes usually". I need to give them a call tomorrow. Aquaboy, I salute you, had I not read your post, I would not have questioned the cowries. My fire and ice zoes have gone from about 40 to 5 : (
    Oh well they'll grow back.

12. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i had a sea hare in a 55 gallon tank that i had to return cause it was starving after about 3 wks it ate all the hair algae.nothing will eat maidens hair.it has a nausiating effect on anything that eats it