Sea Hare or Lettuce Nudibranch?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Grant476, Dec 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Grant476

Grant476 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am starting to develop a hair algae problem and I want to stop it before it gets any worse. Would you recommend a Sea Hare or Lettuce Nudibranch? Which eats the most hair algae in the shortest amount of time? Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Niether, they will both die when the algeas gone. Instead, figure out the source of hte algea and address it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Grant476

I see what you are saying, but i plan of giving it to the LFS when i am done with it so that is not a problem. I just need to know which one will eat more algae.

5. mClarkDriver

mClarkDriver Flamingo Tongue

And if they do eat all the algea, and you dont address the problem it will come back again, and maybe even again.... and if it came back then, it will come back again....

6. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

lettuce nudibranch eats bryopsis and sea hare eats GHA so i would go with GHA but i would invest in a refugium and put mangroves or chaeto in it that usually clears up the problem

7. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

sea hare. Mine does some serious work. :) I no longer have GHA, but I also bought some macroalgae for my tank, and a real good CUC.

8. Click Here!

9. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Seat Hare for the win :). They are a great addition to any tank that is ready for them. They will tear through GHA like no other. But ya, when the HA goes away you usually have to find another home for him, most of our tanks are not equipped to handle their massive appetites. Although I have heard of people keeping them alive with nori, might be something to look into.

10. Grant476

That's a very good point. How will I clear up the problem forever then? I have 15 hermit crabs (i'm pretty sure they are red leg) and 7 blue legs. Then there are also 2 sifter snails that stay under the sand. I didn't want to get little turbo snails because they can fall on their backs and die and make bad bacteria. Are they any alternatives besides a sump system?

11. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

HOB refugium or an in tank fuge is a more budget friendly option

12. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

Go with RO/DI water to start if you do not have that already, some phosban, some LARGE mex turbo snails. Break up the large patches if there are any, so the cuc can tackle the patches.