Unresolved Sea cuc? Reef safe?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by JK901, Mar 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

This guy is in my tank but I took him from a closing LFS. Is he reef safe?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

He's safe provided you are providing it with proper phytoplankton and zooplankton in a small enough size.

I love to watch them eat. When I eat fried chicken, I have to lick my fingers because I hate the oily feeling. This is pretty much how they eat. They put one finger down it's mouth at a time and lick the plankton off of them.

1 person likes this.
  4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yours is very hungry (near starvation) so make sure you get some food for it this weekend.

5. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Great video. Now I'm craving fried chicken. :)

6. Reloadeddevil

Reloadeddevil Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am very interested to know how you feed your sea cucumber. Do you target feed it once it spreads it feeding tentacles out. If so do you use liquid form of zooplankton or solid flake form. Last thing how ling you had yours for? Thanks in adavance.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I no longer have any of them. A very expensive heater with a controller failed and cooked all of them and cracked the tank as well. :(

I had a bunch of cucumbers (Yellow, Pink, Orange, and a pink and green like shown above) as well as a much larger, but related filter feeder called a sea apple. They are all Holothurians.

I didn't target feed because they all moved around and found their favorite spot where the flow was good for them to get the food they wanted. I'm trying to remember what I was feeding them at that time. I'm pretty sure it was DT's Phytoplankton and the smallest size of Golden Pearls.

At the shop, when we get a shipment in, we get a whole bunch at once. I get a good feeding response with a mixture of TLF PhytoPlan and TLF Zoplan. I know for a fact that this mixture works well in the short term (as every one of them would be sold within 2 weeks). While I suspect, that combo would work fine long-term as well, I don't have personal experience. Both Zoplan and Phytoplan are a powder that can be rehydrated in a small container and then squirted into the tank similar to Golden Pearls.

8. Click Here!

9. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks all. I just added phytoplankton from Kent Marine. He had his tentacles out a little so hopefully that is a good sign.