Sea-bed plan to store carbon

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

WHy does this make me nervous? :p

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Sea-bed plan to store carbon

2. Click Here!

3. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

LOL...... those retards make me nervous too. Actually there is no point in getting nervous. It just ages you faster.
    GLTA

4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Ummm, just how are they going to collect it in the first place? I can see a little guy from the EPA following me around in my car with a vacuum device to collect the CO2.::) ;D

How about seeding the Southern oceans with Iron? Is anyone else familiar with that program?

Basically, ocean water is poor in Iron. Phytoplankton needs Iron to grow and reproduce. Lack of Iron is one of the most limiting factors on the growth of phytoplankton. By adding Iron to water, you increase the growth of phytoplankton. Phytoplankton is photosynthetic and absorbs vast quantities of CO2 in the production of O2. The Southern ocean is one of the best breeding grounds of phytoplankton. By loading up cargo ships with Iron dust made from scrap metal and having them seed the ocean you increase phytoplankton and decrease CO2 in the atmosphere "naturally" with little to no negative environmental impact. You also increase the food supply for krill, fish, whales etc. Imagine that, all you need is a boat and a bucket of rust...;)

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

What are the long term effects of ocean life? Humans are always trying to look after themselves and screwing everyone else in the process.

Wont this hurt fish that live within the sea-bed?

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

"Storing carbon dioxide under the sea-bed could help to reduce global warming, according to US scientists.

The proposals involve pumping the gas miles underground then injecting it under the sea floor."

Sound like a gaint calcium reactor! There is already a method of sinking CO2 underwater. It called a coral reef and if we would stop destroying it we wouldn't need to come up with such lame brain ideas.

Maybe after we get done clear cutting the rainforest we can pump some CO2 under it too::)

7. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

I seen on discovery that the earth will start having very cold winters in responds to global warming. They showed documents of the earths history and how it will controll global warming.

8. Click Here!

9. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Im with covey, quit cutting down all the rain forests. Plant some more trees. Gas prices go up, emissions go down due to less driving ( my car is saving mileage no doubt thx to 3.35/gal prices)

They may actually accomplish something meaningful if they put their money to real trees! Leave it to the governments to complicate things more than they need to be.

</rant>

hehe