sea apple death affect on coral

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by loneracer05, Oct 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

So I kno they will kill fish fast if they die but what are tge affects on coral/invertes?....I know they don't always nuke the tank and most ppl are against them but tough nuggies lol i want 1.

2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

coral and inverts are more sensitive to just about anything in the water then a fish, so imagine the effects on fish, times 10. i would strongly advise against sea apples.

5. Eclipse

Eclipse Astrea Snail

If you want a sea apple, I'd make it a tank JUST for a sea apple, and maybe a fish or two, but that's about it. You really wouldn't want to put it in a tank with a ton of livestock, since even though your conditions may be perfect, you just never know what might happen.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Sea apple toxin is a vertebrate specific one, so it shouldn't directly affect corals. If enough fish die, however, the resulting spikes may cause problems with corals.

I've had an apple expel its guts and die in my reef without any resulting deaths. I think the key saving points in my system were an oversized skimmer and large amounts of carbon. During both events, I set my skimmer to run extra wet and added extra carbon.

What it comes down to, in my opinion, is that sea apples are a risk, but that's what this hobby is all about. They are amazingly interesting creatures to keep, but you should take some precautions. Be sure your skimmer is in good order, and keep extra carbon on hand. Also, be sure to feed ample amounts of phyto, live if possible, to keep the apple healthy.

7. Eclipse

Eclipse Astrea Snail

Nothing died? That's really interesting.

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Yep, I had a full stocking of fish coral and inverts in the tank. It was in a 40 gallon so I don't think dilution played a big part. I may very well have been lucky though, so I would still be cautious.

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

As I'm reading up on these creatures, some tend to be more, or less toxic, and just the same less or more sensitive to disturbances. Could be the specific breed you had was more reef acceptable than others. A theory, but I am liking these little guys all the same. I'm thinking a tank devoted to sea apples would look very cool. At least they wouldn't have any competition in that viro and be more apt to survive.

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

vertebrata specific I never knew that?! Thanks Mike!

12. loneracer05

Thanks guys :) its going to go in a 34g rsm with cheap fish aswell as possibly my mantis.I have an aqua c remora pro for the moment wich does a great job. Going to pull the trigger on it after Xmas.