SCWD Fix - Cleaning

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Malachi, Sep 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. da colts

da colts Skunk Shrimp

i just think you have a bad unit, i have 2 running, 1 i have had over a year, the other 1 for about 4 months, both are doing very well, i also think that the faster the water flow the less chance that it will clog up. the 1 on my main pump is taking water at about 1300 gph(that pump is a quiet one 5000) the other pump is a ca 2200. the main pump is about 1 foot from the scwd the other pump is about 18 inches from the ca 2200. don't give up just yet, these things are greeat little devices, between my 2 scwds and my 4 hydor flos i don't have to have any ugly heat emmitting powerheads in my tank for current.

2. Click Here!

3. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Well i finally got my new SCWD up and running, i will return the old one and hopefully get a report. They do have good customer service, just don't respond to e-mails very quickly. The one big difference is it swiitches sides almost every 5 seconds were my old one switched sides every minute or so. I estimate 700 GPH. How often does all of your SCWD switch sides, this is another reason I am thinking my old one was a problem child since the begining.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I am running mine with a Mag 5 and it swithces every 10 seconds :)

5. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Welp, mine is failing now too! It gets stuck to one side. I un plug, and plug the pump in and it gets it going again, but stops again shortly after. It was making a slight squeaking sound. Been running for 7 weeks. :p

Guess I will be taking apart for cleaning...how is everyone elses after being cleaned / replaced....

7. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

fortuantely your still under the warranty and you can not take it apart. I am going to keep a spare on hand, as well as a spare pump i got so i am not down for as long as i was last time. They sent me a new one sort of quick and i sent my old one back, they still have not given me an update on what was wrong. I will e-mail them again and tell them you are now down. I tried vingaer for 2 hours which did fix it for a week. Don't know about you but mine is a pain to change since i have my tank angled. I would love to know why it failed to prevent it from happening again.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=birdlady link=board=ASAP;num=1096461371;start=15#24 date=11/10/04 at 22:17:41]
    Guess I will be taking apart for cleaning...how is everyone elses after being cleaned / replaced....[/quote]

Mine has been great. All I did was take it off, blow it out from the bottom like a whistle a couple times and rinsed it through in the sink a few times and blew it out again. Worked for me. :)

10. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Matt, how long has yours been running since your fix? I just soaked mign then ran water on.

11. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

just wondering... what is a SCWD. guess i dont know all the reef net lingo yet.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

A SCWD allows you to split your return line to your tank so it has two ouputs. Also it has a corkscrew inside that alternates the current between the two returns.

[quote author=Malachi link=board=ASAP;num=1096461371;start=15#27 date=11/11/04 at 08:57:58]Matt, how long has yours been running since your fix? I just soaked mign then ran water on. [/quote]

Over a month now. :)