SCWD Fix - Cleaning

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Malachi, Sep 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Anyone that has SCWD problems please let me know if there is a good cleaning procedure? Did you actually take the unit apart? I have lowered my filtration to 100 micron, but I originally had 400 micron which was not low enough I fear. I have e-mailed 3i.

FYI failed in less then 3 weeks.

2. Click Here!

3. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

3 weeks is way to early to fail unless you are getting alot of debris and or sand going thru it. Usually for what i have read over time calcium deposits and such need to be cleared with vinager.

4. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

No sand, i only have miracle mud in my sump and there is a flow weir seperating the pump from the refugium. I am going to do my piping a little bit different so it is not to bad of a hassle but do need to find out the problem. I still do not have any response from the manufacture about tearing it apart. I never played with it so i am not even sure how to do a dry test before rehooking it up and the instructions have no breakdown photos.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think I recall reading you are supposed to soak the whole thing in vinegar, then flush it out. Do you have a sponge on your sump pump? I have one on mine and I just set up my SCWD so time will tell. I agree 3 weeks is way too early. Sounds like you need to rework some things

6. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

no sponge on sump pump, i have a rio 2500, and there is no way to put one on. I used a 400 micron bag filter and cut it around it, but this was not fine enough. So i put a 100 micron on my line from my main tank and the sump water is cyrstal clear. I just thought of something, i scraped my refuguim for the first time, i wonder if a piece of algae could of done it, and if so that is scary.

7. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't have a SCWD but just a thought.  Have you tried to back flush it?  I'm not sure if this will work because of the design.  Is it just not switching or it there not flow at all?

3 wks sounds to soon for any good about of build up to accumulate. so there is probably a foreign object in there that can be flushed out.

8. Click Here!

9. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Sound like you may have just gotten a bad unit. I am not sure off the top of my head the warranty on this but I would see about a replacement as they do not come apart to clean in

10. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I will let you know, Saturday i am building my PVC piping and will replace the piping and clean the SCWD Sunday.

11. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Just to give you an update. I soaked my SCWD in Vinegar for an hour. Frequently running tap water through all three connections. Redid my piping with PVC and got it running. AS of now the problem is fixed, I could not find the cause for malfunction as no debris came out of it.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Malachi link=board=ASAP;num=1096461371;start=0#8 date=10/05/04 at 06:25:30]Just to give you an update.  I soaked my SCWD in Vinegar for an hour. Frequently running tap water through all three connections. Redid my piping with PVC and got it running. AS of now the problem is fixed, I could not find the cause for malfunction as no debris came out of it. [/quote]

Funny. Mine has been up for 5 days and it already is squeaking like crazy. Is that what yours was doing? Anyword from the company?
    :p