Unresolved Scroll coral turning pale...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Daniel521, Nov 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel521

Daniel521 Flamingo Tongue

I purchased this coral a few weeks back. It had a brown/mustard color with bright yellow spots when I first put it into the system. The lights make it look pretty blue but here is a picture o it in day 4...

[​IMG]

In the last couple of days it has been turning from dark yellow/brown to a much more pale color of yellow, almost purple with the lights. The yellow dots haven't really changed just the tissue in between. The yellow dots/polyps never really extended like I've seen in some photos online but I've also seen tons of photos with just dots like mine. I did add a couple new bulbs to my fixture but nothing else in the tank is showing a similar reaction so I'm lost. These last pictures were taken this morning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess my question is... Am I loosing the coral? Waters good, although I'm doing another change tomm to ensure that's not my problem. Like always any ideas are appreciated

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Daniel, I think it look photoshocked.

What lighting did come from it you know and what lighting is it under?

I would move it down to a shadier area for awhile.

4. Daniel521

It came from MH and now it's under 6x54w t,5 3/4 of the way down a 90 galling tank... I almost thought at first it was going to be to low in the tank

5. Corailline

The metal halid bulb could have been old. Do you have any other sps?

6. Daniel521

[​IMG]

Here's a FTS so you guys can see how deep it actually is

7. Daniel521

I have 7 encrusting montipora frags about 10 inches deep on a rack doing fine almost ready to mount in the tank...

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

I think it just needs time to get acclimated to the lighting. Some of my corals take months to color back up after a change in lighting.

10. Daniel521

So am I in danger of loosing the piece? Or just having to wait for him to come back? Lol it did take some time to mount him, and patience isn't a problem if he will recover...

11. Corailline

I think it will probably turn mostly yellow. Turbinaria are usually much more yellow in appearence. Mine likes a lot of flow and it placed about a foot away from the mH.

12. Daniel521

I'm fine with things turning different colors! As long as they're happy and healthy I'm happy with whatever they wanna do... He's getting good flow so I'm intrigued to see what he's gonna end up doing. Thank you for the help, if anything else changes or gets worse I'll be sure to post a panicked update lol