screw canopy?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by hoodoo, Oct 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

well, I want to change my canopy a little so that the lights are not so close to the water. They are only 3 inches from the water away.
    Well, I was just wondering what to use to put the canopy together...
    Screws? glue and pins? any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I am planing on using screws and glue, the screws just in case the glue did not hold.

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Just use screws, there is really no need for glue at all. Just make sure that the hole on the screw goes through is large enough to allow the screw free movement and the hole that the screw thread goes into is small enough to get maximum bite for the thread. If you do this you will get the best clamping pressure and you will also be able to easily disassemble the canopy in the future for any modifications. Does that make sense?

John

6. Brian_B47

Brian_B47 Astrea Snail

I agree with JohnO. Besides glue just gets to messy 8)

7. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

well, I know how to work properly. That was not why I asked.

I was wondering if it is a problem to work with metal. Since it's saltwater.

8. Click Here!

9. jay

jay Guest

I disagree about not useing glue. Solid wood is unstable, as it shrinks and swells with humidity and temprature it has the potintal to work screws lose. A good wood glue in all your joints will help to mediate this process.

As for the screws, Kreg makes a pocket screw system that produces unbelivably strong joints. It is designed to build face frames for cabinets, but the sky is the limit on its possible applications. You can get the screws and jig for it at Lowes. And if do use the Kreg system, be sure to get the screws designed for the Kreg system and the wood you are uesing. It makes a big difference.

10. Skinpuppi

Skinpuppi Plankton

I just put together a new canopy for my 180 and all I used galvanized screws and wood glue. The glue is what holds it together. The screws are just to hold things together til the glue dries.

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I used wood glue and brass screws which I counter sank, then applied a uerothane finish to eliminate rusting.

12. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

As jay said, use ether galvanized or stainless screws.