Screen Top for Bowfront???

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dowtish, Apr 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I was out of town this weekend and lost my first fish by it jumping. Why did it jump while I was gone? :confused:

Anyways, I have a 90 gallon bowfront with no sump(as of now). I want and need to put a lid on this thing. I have been looking at the 1/4 inch clear screening from BRS, and all that goes along with it. Screen framing, corners, spline etc. But how can I do this with the bend in the bowfront? and I have to get around various equipment, which I know will leave a few little openings, but it will be better than nothing.

does anybody have experience with screen framing?will it bend?

or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Considering screen frame is aluminum, it'll bend. However, due to the grove it has for the spline, it'll bend much easier one way than the other. Put the spline groove at the inner diameter of the bend, otherwise it might buckle before you get the bend radius you want. You might have to get creative on how to bend it, but with enough experimentation, I'm willing to bet you can get it to work out.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

What I did with my half-round tank is made the rectangular (square in my case) frame with the clear screen from BRS. I then took a piece of acrylic that I had laying around, and cut the contour of the curve. Measured the space remaining, cut to fit, where it buts against the screen frame. I drilled a couple of holes for zip ties, and attached it to the frame. The zip ties kind of act as hinges. I took a small screw and screwed it into the top of the curved piece to act as a small handle. All of this was done for a whopping $0!...and may garage is a wee bit cleaner now! I'll try to get a pic snapped.

2 people like this.
  5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I made one of those DIY tops from BRS with the 1/4" mesh. It will def be tricky to get an nice bend in there. I just did some modifications to it to make a gap for an ATO outflow mount in the back of my tank. The framing is maleable but I would think it will buckle if you put a certain amount of pressure on it. You'll also want to pay close attention to the rail/alley underneath the frame (where the spline attaches the mesh).

interested to see FOD's mod, sounds promising, read it after I posted this.

6. FaceOfDeceit

Here ya go.

[​IMG]

You could probably install hinges onto this setup to make it easier than the zip ties...but I didn't have any hinges in my garage.

1 person likes this.
  7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

^ I like how this guy thinks better. :)

8. Click Here!

9. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Awesome! thanks so much for the input! I knew there would have to be some mods made and this looks like the answer I needed.

10. FaceOfDeceit

The framing is so thin and pliable, I doubt you'd be able to get a good radius bend out of it without kinks going into the track. It bent on my when i was using a hacksaw to cut it.

11. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

For mine I cut some eggcrate just enough to fit the curvature and square off the side (did the same for the equipment and hang ons side). Now that it's squared or rectangled, you can use the mesh fitting. I painted it black so unless you are peering over the tank, you can't really notice all that much.

If you don't want to order the mesh from BRS, I used one of the poofy things you use for the shower, I forget the name, but it works VERY well and it's super stretchy to really limit the light being diffused out of your tank.

12. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I went ahead and ordered the 1/4 inch screening and everything else I'll need from BRS yesterday. I'm going to get some acrylic and cut it to shape and size, just like mentioned above. Thanks again for all the suggestions, but I'm rolling with faceofdeceit's idea.