Scratch or Crack???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by cmayfield12, Apr 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cmayfield12

cmayfield12 Plankton

Last night I found a scratch or crack on the inside of my tank. It is approximately 1.5" in length. I can feel the scratch or crack on the inside of my tank but not on the outside. I need to know if this is a scratch of a crack, and more importantly if I need to be buy a new tank. The scratch or crack is located on the top left corner of the tank. The bottom of the crack is approximately 4" below the water level. Please let me know what you guys think. I am a little worried here.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Absolutely need an image. We can speculate until the cow come home with out an image.

Welcome to 3reef BTW. I sure hope the tank turns out to be ok.

4. cmayfield12

cmayfield12 Plankton

kk I added an attachment of the scratch or crack on my tank. The dry erase marks on the glass mark the top and the bottom of it. Also my tank is a 55 gal. I don't think I mentioned that in the original post

Attached Files:

5. sanchoy

sanchoy Astrea Snail

6. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Do you remember anything if you were moving the rock work around? This may be just a deep scratch..

7. cmayfield12

cmayfield12 Plankton

The only think I can think of is that I was cleaning the inside of my tank with a scrub pad and I may have got a piece of gravel stuck on the scratch pad. I do not remember scratching it though. I was shocked when I saw it last night because I really don't know how it happened.

8. Click Here!

9. cmayfield12

cmayfield12 Plankton

I did add a pic for everyone to see. Check the attachment of post #3. Please let me know what everyone thinks.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

How long have you had this tank?

Looks to me like a scratch- my used 125 came with several!

Looks as though it is a mere flesh wound, and there is less pressure up high like that.

Keep an eye on 'er, and Reef On!

And,

Welcome to 3Reef.

Now, to determine the quare root of the derivitive of the chance that scrach will actually leak or get bigger-

We'll need to see several FTS = Full Tank Shots

and a little more about your system

;-)

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Looks like a scratch to me, which isn't anything but simply unsightly.

12. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Kind of looks like it has a zig zag in the middle of it. Which would be a crack. I would inspect it close up to see if it has splinter like looking effect to it. Leave the marker on it to see if it grows at all.