Scott's 150

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by szidls, Nov 13, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey All,
    Well after many months of buying and setup I finally have my 150 sps tank going. Right now it is going through alge cycles and I have started to add a cleanup crew. ;D Here is a few pics. No corals yet but....... Sooner than later.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Hey, I am jealous!
    I don't know if I could go through all that again. Brown Algae red algae, Ammonia, Nitrite, nitrate cycle. Paying for the eXtra electricity. Yeah, ok I would :)

It looks like a Cool setup. No 90's in the pipes all 45 degree bends. Large diameter pipe for good flow. Valves for fine tuning adjustments. A Monster skimmer and the rocks sitting on the bottom of the tank instead of sand. Many different returns for some Really wild wave action... You thought I didn't notice huh?? NICE!

Jim

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Scott,

It looks great. I love the aquascaping because it isn't a wall O' rock. Your closed loop looks nice too. On that first picture, I see a box that looks like Mike's and Nikki's motorized ball valve. Did you get one too? If so, how often is it timed to shift?

I've missed a lot of chats so I'm catching up. I hope you and Colleen are doing well. How is Jessi's tank?

PS....I'm sure many people don't know what a motorized ball valve is. Here is a rough description. As opposed to flow being distributed through all closed loop outputs at partial pressure, the motorized ball valve sends pressure to one of two sides and switches between 2 outputs. In other words, more pressure and flow is sent to half of the tank and then a timer tells the motorized ball valve to switch sides and send the higher pressure to the other side.

5. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Thanks for kudos Jim. Yea the closed loop is working great. There are 12 inputs on the back. The loop is setup so that 6 are running on each tank half at any given time (3 on top and 3 on bottom). The motorized ball valve switches back and fourth on a timer (right side and left side)creating good wave action. The bottom inputs have loc-line flare nozzels that deep the detritus pushed off the back bottom and into the water colume to make it to the sump. There are very few areas I have to siphon.:2thumbsup
    Thanks again, Scott

6. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey thanks Curt,
    The MBV is timed for about 5 minutes now. Seems to work well but as you can see I don't have any corals yet.:( I'll have to see if it needs adjusting later. We have been downsizing the number of tanks here lately as lack of maintence had them suffering. I think we only have 3 at the moment. We sold Colleen's 150 african tank and she and Shilo combined their tanks. Good to hear from you!
    Scott

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Motorized ball valve and the nice loop! Your corals should really dig that! Nice work.

8. Click Here!

9. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Thanks for the kind words Matt. Here is a pic of the closed loop for water testing. The pic is dated showing the length of time this project has taken me.::) Hope you enjoy.
    Scott

Attached Files:

10. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

Nice job Scott, sweet tank!

11. APC

APC Gigas Clam