Urgent scopas tang has ich

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ferretfish, Aug 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

hello today i notist that my tang was scraching at live rock and then i looked over again and took a closer look and noticed he had a few tiny salt like white spots. i checked my water parrameters they were all perfect execpt my nitrite was 0.50 so i imediateliy did a 10% water change and my nitrite went back to a less dangerous 0.25. what should i do.also it is only my tang all of my corals are thriving. thanks he eats like a pig

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

If the ich has really taken over the fish, I would recommend either a QT or a short dip in something like Seachem para-guard. If you notice one or 2 spots, it would be more stressful for the fish trying to catch it. Overall I would recommend buying a UV sterilizer, never had ich problems when running one.

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Do you mean .5 nitrite, or nitrate?

5. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

nitrite 0.5

6. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

put some prime in the tank. that will render it non toxic to the fish. hwoever, you have a more underlying problem in that you have nitrite.

ammonia and nitrite are very toxic to the fish and are normally seen in the tank when something has died or you havent cycled your tank fully. you need to make sure you get that corrected.

now to treat that fish, you can remove it from the tank and place it in QT and treat it with Copper or Hypo salinity. of, if you dont have corals or inverts in your tank, you can take your salinity down to 1.009 for 5 weeks and rid your entire tank of the parasite. sadly, once it is in your tank, it is very hard to get rid of.

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

enrich the foods with garlic to.

8. Click Here!

9. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Totally agree, add garlic and maybe a little selcon to your food. Want to really keep the fishes immune system up while he fights the ich. The nitrite has me a little concerned. I would add prime like suggested and correct the nitrite asap.