Scooter Blenny

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Gaspare, Aug 31, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i have a pair of ocellated dragonetes(scooter blenny)

often sold skinny, i started feeding them frozen brine, after about a yr i got them to eat sinking pellets by new life spetrum, except the male usually dont share there food with the female. but i also have a 10 gal fuge and god knows how much LR.

i dont know about that algae wafer idea dont sound like a good long term diet. since there natural diet consits of meaty pods. and also some coral pest such as flatworms, even small bristleworms,ect...ect..

if you try enough times they will eat from you, so there really only hard at first, besides that they are quite hardy.

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I have a scooter in my Seahorse tank that I have had for about 4 months now. When I got him all he was eating was pods. But I also have a Mandrin that eats the same P&E Mysis that I feed my seahorses. It took about three of 4 weeks and the Scooter started eating the same as the Mandrin.

4. dimweb

dimweb 3reef Sponsor

reef nutrition offers tigger-pods (copepod starter culture) introduce them to your tank and sump, bit cheaper than some alternatives

5. karcury

karcury Astrea Snail

We have a scooter blenny that we have had for about 6 months. He started out small, but has grown to a good 3 inches - maybe more, and boy is he a fatty!

He loves frozen brine shrimp and pretty much everything else we put in the tank.

Sounds like we are lucky with him. He's one of our favorites with his goofy little "Shih Tzu face" and flying around around the tank like a hummingbird.

If you can keep one well-fed, they are a great addition to a tank.

p.s. - I didn't know until I started reading about a month ago that they were hard to keep alive. Go figure. . .

6. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

Mine eats frozen brine shrimp, blood worms and mysis--it took a while to get him to eat all the different foods but he is fat and happy!

7. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

Want to laugh? I feed my flame hawk some ghost shrimp every once in a while when my LFS get some fresh ones in - a few weeks ago I go to throw a few of them in and my male scooter (apx 2 1/2"L) goes right for it and steals it from the flame hawk! He kept swimming around the tank with this thing in his mouth and the hawk kept chasing him trying to get the shrimp! Finally the scooter was able to slide between some live rock where the hawk could not get to him and proceeded to eat the entire shrimp - just thought I'd share.....

Anyway, your tank needs to be established with plenty of pods in order to get them fat and healthy initially - seems after they do they will try and eat other food like mysys, brine and even GHOST SHRIMP! I've had a pair for almost 2 yrs now and they are doing great but definitely not a fish for a newer tank!

8. Click Here!

9. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

my scooters ate live brine shrimp

10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i found the scooters to be way easier to get fat than manderins.both eat cyclopeze well

11. arizonagrace

arizonagrace Astrea Snail

I have lost 2 scooters because they wouldn't eat anything. I did have one that ate brine shrimp on occassion, but not enough I guess.

My friend got a scooter and we put it in a breeding net for 3 weeks to get it used to being around the other fish and...to train it to eat. While it was in there, she would add some pods one day and brine the next. She did this and then slowly started putting in a pellet or two and after 3 weeks, he was eating anything in sight. She still adds pods for him though on a regular basis.

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I know this thread has been long dead but I just came in to possession of a scooter blenny and have been reading up on him non-stop. Purchased live copepods for her (fin is not "flag shaped" so I assume female?) Anywho, she's mosying around the tank puffing through the substrate and hops up on one of my rock.....the rock that I'd JUST spotted a tiny featherduster on....well.....she ate it?!?!?! Gah......at least she's eating ::)

How do I know she ate it???

Looked around and saw the tube for the featherduster sticking out about 1mm.
    Saw her peruse the rock selection.
    Looked again and saw that the tube for the featherduster was now about 2.5-3mm
    Saw her pluck it out of the rock and OM NOM NOM NOM!!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009