Scooter Blenny

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Gaspare, Aug 31, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

Hi everyone,

Need some info on scooter bleny. I have 75 gal. with 40 lb of LR, will I be able to safely keep a scooter blenny . I know that they eat copepods, but can I supplement it with any other type of food? ;)

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Scooter Blennies do best in well establish tanks,  feeding on abundate algae.  You can suppliment there diet with a flake high in Spirulina.  Like Fomula one or O.S.I has a Spirulina Flake

J

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=Jakets link=board=Fish;num=1062351899;start=0#1 date=08/31/03 at 16:50:29]Scooter Blennies do best in well establish tanks,  feeding on abundate algae.  You can suppliment there diet with a flake high in Spirulina.  Like Fomula one or O.S.I has a Spirulina Flake

J[/quote]
    Huh? Being that they're not herbivours, why would they feed on abundante food? The algae is for the little critters that the scooter eats. Most scooters/mandarins are set up to die from the get go. Look for one that has plenty of meat on its bones, spine not showing, etc. They don't feed them at the exporters, the wholesalers (we keep em with loads of live rock at our facility) and the retailers don't feed them, so you're looking at 2 - 4 weeks no feeding. When a fish goes that long, it looses its capacity to digest food (no more bacteria in their intestines) and usually will just survive on its reserve. When thats used up, they die!!

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Thanks Gresham for some reason I was thinking "Sailfin Blenny" Were as a Scooter Blenny is more like a dragonet.
    Sorry for the misinformation. I hope it didn't cause any harm.

Jason

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I didn't think thats what you were thinking about, not like you to do that.

7. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

Thanks for all the advise. I don't think I will be purchasing one any time in the near future.

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I have a scooter blenny. I got it home on 07/08/03 and yes it was skinney as a rail! It will be two months in two days. The blenny looks good he is fatter but not plump by any means!
    It never eats any thing I put into the tank. He is always pecking, the sand, the rocks, everywhere.Come to think of it is it good practice to throw in food that dosen't get ate? Cuz I always throw in a little bit of everything, and its always gone in the morning? Is this good for the tank or am I just trying for an ammonia spike? Any way! This is what the scooter I have looks like. Same scooter that you spoke of gresham? Do you think mine is outta the woods? After 2 months or would it be dead by now? THANKS! Dave

Attached Files:

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

as far as the mix up a lot of people confuse the scooter with the lawnmower. the scooters are actually a dragonete the same as mandarins.

you can try feeding brine shrimp and bloodworms both my mandarin and scooter eat these i got really lucky with the mandarin eating frozen food but he does. also if he does eat you may have to try and spot feed i have to. my other fish are to fast and grab the food so i feed themn first and when there eating i shoot food to the bottom with a turkey baster so the dragonetes can eat since there a much slower fish.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I just got back from MACNA Monday, and tried out some of the Cyclop-eeze (freeze dried, not the frozen) samples on all our fish at the facility (well, the ones I figured would go after them). The scooters took to it INSTANSTLY. I'm not easilty swayed by products, you can read my past posts to get a feel for that, but this stuff is a true heaven sent food for our tanks. I learned about it over a year ago, I just hadn't got ahold of it until now (A&M Aquatics was giving away free 30g samples). Its a bio-engineered micro-crustacean that Argent grows in a artic lake. They contain the highest concentrations of "omega-3" fatty acids and are extremelly high in caratiods. Search it out, buy it, I'm telling you it do the job.

12. Coqui

Coqui Plankton

Hey all, I have a scooter blenny. He is super healthy. He enjoys eating algae wafers. Thats all I do and he does amazingly well. He swims the tank and perches on the upper rocks.

I know that no one has posted in a long time but I have some descent info that I can see helping others.

The food I have is called "Hikari Tropical Algae Wafers." Pretty inexpensive at PetCo or PetSmart.