Scientists to release swarms of robots into the oceans

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Taking a page from science fiction, the National Science Foundation just announced that scientists at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography will be developing swarms of tiny robots called autonomous underwater explorers (AUEs). These AUEs will 'work through a system in which several soccer-ball-sized explorers are deployed with many tens--or even hundreds--of pint-sized explorers. Collectively, the entire "swarm" of AUEs will track ocean currents that organisms at a small-scale, such as tiny abalone larvae, for example, experience in the ocean.'

[​IMG]

Autonomous Underwater Explorers

"We're seeing great success in the global use of ocean profiling floats to document large-scale circulation patterns and other physical and chemical attributes of the deep and open seas..."

Source and full press release:
    nsf.gov - National Science Foundation (NSF) News - Oceanographers Develop "Swarms" of Robotic Ocean Explorers - US National Science Foundation (NSF)

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Did somebody say ROBOTS ?

Now that is right up my alley.

5. TROYBOY84

TROYBOY84 Feather Duster

i want to catch one and put it in my tank

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Indeed - you work with them everyday!! I don't think you would make a 'pint-size' robot though. :lol:

Hahah... that does remind me that I was curious how they planned on catching these - and how they planned on avoiding fishing nets.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

If you have an hour to kill here is a video presentation on this: