Sci-Fi Geek ornament advice question..

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by HellFire4881, Oct 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HellFire4881

HellFire4881 Plankton

Hi Guys...
    Ok...
    Ive been a series sci-fi geek as well as aquarium fan for many years..
    Especially Stargate...
    Now for those of you have seen the show, you are probably gonna guess what im going to ask. The gate lets travelers go to many planets, where they may encounter ancients cultures. Now the gate sometime takes them to planets where the gate has been left around when a natural disaster occurs. Volcano, Iceage... etc... or even when a planet floods...
    See where im going with this?

Well, i have a model of the stargate which is nicely detailed and molded out of resin.
    Now my question is.... is there a way i can coat the model gate with some transparent sealant which will allow the gate to be kept in my tank on the sand whilst still be disinguishable as a stargate with out damaging the water and more importantly my fish/crab/Corals etc...

im not usually into ornaments for the tanks, however i thought this might be a nice way of incorporating both my favourite hobbies...

Ive seen many ornaments in shops which appear to have been made out of a similar resin and then painted which are apparently perfectly safe of aquariums.

any ideas? :confused: ;D

2. Click Here!

3. BloodyShirt

BloodyShirt Fire Worm

Geek! no i'm j/k'n :D I've been thinking about sinking a few lego divers into my tank.. maybe a pirate ship? i <3 legos and fish tanks

but unfortunately I have no idea what kind of paints or resins are fish tank safe.. sorry.. thought I'd make you feel better by sharing my geekness

4. HellFire4881

HellFire4881 Plankton

thanks mate, your mutal geekiness it well reserved.. I must admit i am not a true geek though.. I only really like sci-fi shows... Not a true geek with fan t-shirts, blueprints of spaceships from tv shows etc... Im kind of like a korma compared to a vindaloo, if you dont mind the curry analogy.;D

1 person likes this.
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK, come on......there is a little geek in all of us. Myself? Band, Stage band, Pep band, Orchestra, Chess club. ......and yes......Bandcamp....three years in a row. I took math classes because I enjoyed them. Now, I play with trains and fish. Life is good.

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

aint nothing wrong with being a geek!

As for resin decorations, anything you put in there will get coraline on it and potentially ruining it. Im going to put a spongebob squarepants theme set in a tank if I ever get a display going again.

The lego divers is a good idea! Why not just build your whole rock structure out of legos? The plastics used in lego's is safe. But like anything else, it will get covered with coraline.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I like the idea. I'm a full blown undercover nerd as well. Love the entire stargate series (both shows and the movie). Major reason I even went out and got a PS-90 ;) Big fan of BSG as well, and don't even get me started on zombies :)
    I think it would depend on the resin. Its highly likely its safe for your aquarium as-is. But like geekdafied said, it will get cover with coraline and what-not eventually, so if its something you want to keep really nice, your going to have to think it through.

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Nerds wear pocket protectors! :p

I never got in Stargate, I never liked McGuiver, that actor gets on my nerves for some reason. but again, Im not a big sci-fi guy either. I did watch Star Trek a little, and watched the original StarWars movies.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

+1 on Anti-McGyver. Ewww. Liked the SG movie. Did not like SG series. Liked Star Trek and Star Wars. Never wore a pocket protector. Although they do make them for pharmacists with the Rx symbol. That says something about the geekiness of the profession I suppose!!!

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

LOL. See, for some reason I never could get into star wars. I really dont like star trek, either.

12. HellFire4881

HellFire4881 Plankton

well i want the gate to look like its been in this underwater world for a few thousand years undisturbed... so i guess having a growth of coraline will give it some authenticity. Are there any species which reduce coraline growth? ;D

there is no way for me to realistically check what type of resin the gate is made from. So is there some form of protective agent which i could coat the gate in so that it creates a fish safe barrier between the resin and the water?