Scared Blue Hippo Tang

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Gusto, May 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gusto

Gusto Plankton

A few days ago I purchased a small blue hippo tang, about 3in, for my 75 gallon tank. I already had a small yellow tang, 2in, in there for a couple of months. When I introduced the hippo into the tank the yt immediatly started to bully it with its tail and scalpel. I rearranged my rock work, but the bullying continued. Yesterday the LFS recommended that I bring the yt back, so I did. Now the hippo continues to just sit in the corner of the tank or hide behind rocks. Is this normal and it will start to become less afraid or should I be worried?. Also he has no evidence of ich and seems to be eating ok when I feed him. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. tmv8888

tmv8888 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

he's cowering because he doesn't realize the yt is gone yet. This will probably continue for maybe a week or more. Not only is he terrified, but he is also new to your tank. Just give him some time. My powder brown took maybe 3 weeks to stop being shy.

4. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

Fish are generally always shy when first introduced as they are getting used to their surrounding in the form of your rockwork, however they must also get used to your water quality and other chemical factors, like PH, temp, oxygen level, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite etc. Give him some time and he will get used to everything. Also try to keep your hands out of the tank as much as you can to let the fish acclimitise.

Also note that hippo/blue tangs can be very nevous at times, and some ever appear as thou they are a little loopy :) Dont stress if he wedges himself in between rocks, as they feel comfortable in these spaces, just like triggerfish like to sleep in weird places.

I hope he seetles in, and if you have any other questions feel free to fire away!

Breed

1 person likes this.
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I agree. Mine is very skittish. However, be aware that he is going to outgrow your tank. Not for a few years yet, but it will happen eventually. They can get to 12". I bought mine not too long ago ago at 6". When it gets to 9", I am taking it back for store credit and getting something else. Not that I do not enjoy the hippo tang, I just like to mix it up a bit.