Scallop or clam?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Puffer Chick, Jun 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

the shell doesnt look exactly the same as far as i can see but the tentacles and pink color seem pretty accurate! :)

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea shell is different but your right the tentacles and pink are very close

6. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

is that implying that it cant be the one or just that they are good eating. or both lol :)

7. montipora

montipora Guest

They are very tasty!

One could agree that this is a mussel, correct? If that is the case, species like perna perna, Perna canaliculus, and others from the Mytilidae family are good starting points for your identification.

Cheers.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thanks monti, ill those out to see if they look similar

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Was my post that confusing? Sorry I was just zooming through quickly.. I'll slow down this time :)

Unless she has a cold water tank and got that from a cold water dealer it won't be the "one" she has. :D

Yes, they are tasty especially done in a ceviche :)

Your link is to Rosario Beach Marine Laboratory in Washington which is all about local cold water stuff :) I had a friend that went there :) Not to mention I have a shellfish poster on my wall at work and guess what is on it? :lol:

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

nope not a cold water tank :D so exact ID is still unknown, ill try my best to get better pics tomorrow

12. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

You might have to extract it to get a for-sure ID, lol. It's not a clam. There aren't any similar ones that would be attached like that. It's probably not a scallop, since essentially all of the species of Pectinidae show some radial sculpture (even though it can be much reduced in a few of the deep water species) and yours appears to be almost smooth. Your shell looks very compressed (thin), and I don't know of any mussels that are that thin which live in salt water. There are several oysters similar to yours, however, and some show no more sculpture than yours shows. If it's not an optical illusion, and the whole shell is very compressed, even the hidden part, then that's probably what it is. I can't think of a purple one offhand, though. Tricky business trying to ID bivalves by the outer edges, since most of the identifying characteristics are elsewhere, but maybe that will point you in the right direction.

You might use the genus Isognomum as a starting point.

Cheers,

Don