SC65 skimmer questions

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Stammer, Feb 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

Just received my new SC65 today and within minutes I had it put together and was up and running. I could't get the H.O.B. skimmer removed fast enough! I have 2 questions; Since it is placed in the sump do I allow the overflow drain tube to be "open" and let the overflow drain into the sump if it happens? Second question; I am getting lots of air bubbles coming out the bottome of the blue output tube back into the sump reservoir which gets picked up by my output pump and shot back into the output tube into the tank. Too many air bubbles. Will this calm down ? I will post picture next post.

2. Click Here!

3. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

See picture of "blue output tube" I hope the picture loaded?

Attached Files:

4. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I had one, but I'm not sure what you mean by drain tube? Also you may find if you put the output into a filter sock it will help with the micro bubbles. Do you not have a bubble trap between skimmer and return sections?

EDIT I can't open your pic, it's a zip file

5. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

Sorry, let me try and clarify; What I meant was the "overflow" drain tube coming out the skimmer.....But now I realized my own ignorance, It is NOT an overflow tube since it comes out the bottom of the skimmer cup! The filter sock idea might be a possibility. Thanks for that idea! My sump is rather small and crowded, so my skimmer has to be right next to my output/return pump.

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Okay I'm understanding now! Try the filter sock and let us know how it works! I know once mine broke in I no longer had problems with the micro bubbles, and I just had everything in a 5 gallon pail for a sump lol.

7. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

Even though my sump is small and crowded, I was able to rotate the skimmer around 180 dergrees. Now the output tube is at the opposite end of my sump return pump intake. Made a huge difference!
    By the way, LUV THIS SKIMMER!!!!;D

8. Click Here!

9. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Plankton

What depth of water do you have yours in? What adjustment number do you have yours running on?

10. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

My depth is smoewhere around 8 inches. AND, I do notice that when water evaporation occurs that skim output decreases. I generally have mine set at #3. But I do tweak it depending on water levels. I hope that at some point when I add a auto top off for my sump that my skimmer setting can remain constant. Still lovin the skimmer though!;D