Sanjay tests some popular LED lights

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Leonard, Jan 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Leonard

Leonard 3reef Sponsor

Ah. I just noticed the "w" in the part number of the section title. Wow! So I wonder what the 90 degree optic would look like :eek:

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Couldn't one measure the output foot print to determine the optic angle of the lens? Serous question, not being sarcastic, and of course I will shoot the same question to Sanjay and Shawn :D

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

1,000,000 PAR @ 300 feet! ;D Seriously, something seems skewed with that fixture's results. I wanted to know if the Radion was measured with all diodes at 100%...didn't see it listed.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

all i can say is .....I'm confused by it all...lol

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Yep!!! but i think just looking at the graphs you could easily see that the fixture illuminates a width of 18" at a distance of 24". I tested the PR-156 with their claimed 90 degree optics and was only able to illuminate a 18" wide area at a distance of 24" (same as Sanjay). I questioned them and was given some crazy answer implying that I didn't know what a 90 degree angle was.

This is the answer I got from Orphek when I questioned the optics:

"I can send you the manufacturers specs on the lenses, but I doubt you would accept their validity. It's really the 2w chip that makes the light what it is though."

also this

"You were saying that the Orphek lens is 40˚ when in fact it is 90˚. The diameter of the ray is 90˚ while the radius is 45˚, just like the AI 40˚ lens has a radius of 20˚ and a diameter of 40˚. I'm just trying to make an apples to apples comparison."

As for which model they tested, I found the answer I was given. My bad, my memory was wrong.

7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

As you see from my last post, I was mistaken. Shawn stated that it was the PR-156 with the 90 degree optics.

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Jeez. Someone needs to study up on geometry. Illuminating a diameter of 18" at a distance of 24" is a 40deg optic. Basic geometry.

The orphek has 40 deg optics.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

That's for the entire fixture. Each LED produces an individual cone of light with some cone angle. If the optics were 40 degrees and spaced 10" apart, the coverage should be 18+10" for example. So, to cover 18" @ 24 inches, it would need to be less than 40 degrees . I don't know the dimensions of the fixture off the top of my head though.

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Very good point. The fixture is approximately 6" wide. I would expect the optics to have 5 degree error in their design. Had I not spent a weekend with one I would have been more hesitant to criticize their marketing tactics. But doubling the optic angle to market the fixture is just wrong and I felt that consumers needed to be warned. The other issues came later after digging further into their marketing. To me the optics was the major issue as I felt it was false advertisement

12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

well, 18"-6"=12" so, that would be about 28 degree optics.