SAND ?!?!

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Guest, Sep 8, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

:eek: OK i went to homdepot to look for the southdown sand and they didnt have it so i went with with regular white sand. is this ok if i seed it with live sand still i need to know befor i ter to ccle the tank and add fish ?? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

i mean try to cycle the tank thx. :eek:

4. yellowviper

yellowviper Astrea Snail

ok i posted this, sorry for mix up . i bought sand at a home improvement store. and i think its silica sand, i was tols thios was ok id i see it with a bag of live substrate or argonite. is this correct ??

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

There is some debate on silica sand leaching and causing algae blooms. From what I can gather the concerns may be overblown.

Did you buy 'play sand?' What was it called exactly?

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

its been a big debate but the use of silica sand and alge blooms is turning out not to be as bad as once thought. in my qurenteen tank i had silica sand and put some in it and i have not had any alge blooms so far so im thinking you should be ok. i got bored of looking at a totaly blank tank thats why i used some. i have critters in it to pods, small snails, and bristle worms they are living in it just fine. they came from used filters from the main tank, i set them in there to help with bacteria and now its a critter tank.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

:eek: I am looking at some fine sandblasting sand, the bag says industrial quartz on it. LFS is asking $24.99 for 15 lbs of Aragonite sand .

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Compare the grain size of the blasting sand to the aragonite sand and if similar you should be OK. Make sure their are no other impurities in the sand used for construction.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

The sand you're looking for at Home Depot will have a picture of a little boy holding a shovel. It's marked "play sand". The colors are red,white, and blue.

11. xabo

xabo Astrea Snail

It doesn't have "South Down" on the bag anymore. Tried to post pic, but don't see how I can.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

To upload a pic -

Hit 'reply' - type your message then hit the browse button below the message box, find pic, hit ok. The max file size on a pic is 200kb. It must be .jpg, .gif, or .bmp format. Hit 'post.' For security reasons, there is not a preview option when uploading pics. Only members can post pics.