Sand vs. Crushed Coral

Discussion in 'Sand' started by bowe0587, May 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bowe0587

bowe0587 Astrea Snail

What are the benefits of each? I am getting ready to set up a 55g FOwLR and all I've been reading about is live sand. Does crushed coral come alive and have the same filtration properties?

Thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Don't waste your money on "live". during your cycle it becomes live. As far as sand I would go a course of fine due to sand storms. Sand vs cc, sand looks nice in my opinion, but does limit a few species unless you add in some shells or crushed coral. Some species need a soft sand bottom on the flip side of that. CC collects lots of crap literally and cause nitrate spikes. I would look at marcosrocks.com at there course sand

4. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I use a mix or black sand and aragonite (which is basically very fine crushed coral)... Looks like black and white sand :p pretty cool actually. I agree, don't waste money on "live" sand... When you cycle the tank and add LR all the critters will multiply and migrate down to the sandbed and make it live. But I def suggest sand over CC... Aragonite is best of all IMO.. Best of both worlds :p

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

First, you need to decide on and research the type of fish you wish to keep. If you're going to have wrasses or other planktivores, then pods and plankton blooms from a live sandbed can be beneficial. If you plan on housing burrowing types, you'll need finer sand with some larger particles, as already mentioned.

For clowns, damsels, pigmy angels, etc, etc, plankton blooms will just become problematic, and the type of substrate won't matter. IMOPE, CC is easier to keep clean than a sandbed. A gravel vac used once per month works wonders. Just keep it shallow, or my own personal preference, use a UGF for continuous aeration. :)

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Now that's keeping it ole school.

7. DethTugg

DethTugg Plankton

Despite what many have told me I use both. I mixed 8 pounds cc and 30 pounds sugar fine sand in my 29 gallon. It is really a matter of preference imo. It gives my sand bed hints of texture instead of a perfect smooth bed which doesn't seem natural to me.

8. Click Here!

9. JustIncredible

JustIncredible Astrea Snail

IMO sand is much better than crushed coral for many of the reasons already stated...

1.) It's more beneficial for some species of fish that you may want to keep

2.) crushed coral does collect a lot of detritus (fish poo) and can become a nitrate factory (bad) unless you want the additional duties of syphoning it out a lot to keep it clean (most people don't...especially "noob's" as they have enough other things to worry about).

3.) aesthetically sand just looks better (personal opinion).

Good luck with your setup and welcome to the addiction...er'...hobby :D.

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

You say fish only system now... I'd say, if you have any thoughts of possibly doing a mixed reef in the same tank someday, I would go with sand.

1 person likes this.
  11. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

Definately agree!!! I was origionally going to mix crushed coral and sand or aragonite, but just happened to have black sand left over from my FW system, so I mixed that with aragonite instead. It also makes it look textured, but does look a little "faker" than it would if it was CC and sand. I also like a textured look. Using only sand or only CC looks very flat and unpleasing to the eye IMO. I aggree with mixing the two together! :D

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I respectfully disagree with number 2. Detritus will also settle into your sandbed and cause a lot more problems than just nitrates if left unchecked. Many tanks have crashed for that very reason. Sandbeds need maintenance, too.