Resolved Sand sifting crab from North Pacific Ocean

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Maksimsf, Oct 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

1 week ago , we got some sand from the beach for our amphipod 10g breeding tank. Today we caught this monster 1"x0.5", any1 knows what a hell is that? Should I keep it in breeder or transfer him to DT? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

sand shifting crab.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Criolanid (isopod) I believe, parasitic to fish. Best flushed asap and keep an eye out for others.

Error: Sand crab.

5. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

6. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

so should I keep him in my DT to shift my sand? Is he ok with LPS, snails ect? He stay in SB all the time, it was just a luck that we saw him, cuz he was out of sand for like 1 sec.

7. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Thats a typical sand crab. They live a few inches under the sand and filter things out of the water when the water washes up on the sand. If you go down to the beach and use a shovel you can dig those up by the hundreds. Lots of people use them for surf perch bait. There are times of the year that when I walk in the water about ankle deep I will walk into a large area of those crabs and the feeling of hundreds of those moving beneath my feet is enough to creep me out big time. Pismo Beach about 3 hours south of the OP has those everywhere. You can check out the write up about sand crabs from the Monterey Bay Aquarium and it will explain them in great detail.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I think it's really cool too.

TBH, since this is an amphipod breeding tank, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's really a predator, you'll likely see it at some point preying on your amphipods, or notice that you never get a good population up in the tank. If you don't see it preying on amphipods, but it is preying on yours, crustaceans tend to have a relatively short lifespan. If it's just a filter feeder, there's no worries.

Basically, there's little risk to leaving it in, except on the extremely unlikely chance that it's a dangerous isopod and it happens to be bearing fertilized eggs.

11. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

Well I think I move him into my DT, I really need sand sifter :D I don't want to keep any predators in my pods breeding tank. Thnx for info guys

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Well aren't you the silver lining :)