Sand question.

Discussion in 'Sand' started by RidinBurton, Nov 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RidinBurton

RidinBurton Plankton

Sorry for the double post, but I just found the sand sub-forum.

Hello all I am looking at setting up my first 29 gallon aquarium and have purchased a wp-25 powerhead based upon several recommendations from people on this site. I am wondering what kind of sand would be good so that I may avoid sandstorms. I realize that this is a powerful powerhead and that I will need to run it on a low setting. I am thinking of getting live sand. Any recommendations? Amazon would be my ideal website to purchase from due to competitive pricing and low shipping cost.

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I use Reefrock.net sand. I have two WP-40s in my 125 with no issues. FYI, they are coming out with WP10s soon, which would be a little more appropriate for a 29.

5. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

We run #3 grade aragonite. It "lays down" really well, but isn't a detritus trap like CC. If you want something a bit finer, run #1 grade.

TideLine puts out a REALLY really nice product in both grades.

6. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Would definitely reccommend not going with super fine sand (I kinda regret it myself, sometimes a sandstorm occurs, but the sand is beautiful though). But hey, when the most fine sand particles settle, it usually tends to not cause any problems with sandstorms, only when a fish suddenly desides to dig. Thats atleast my experience, hehe :)