Sand from Marco Rocks

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Nvizn, Jan 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Has anyone purchased the Bahama Aragonite sand from Marco? What's your opinion on it?

Sand

2. Click Here!

3. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

I have it. It took mine a real long time to settle out but it is very fine and very nice. I will try to post a pic of it when I am home from work.

4. boostednlinefor

boostednlinefor Fire Worm

I used that stuff to make my DSB. He shipped very quickly with USPS Priority Mail. USPS has got to love him. I pictured USPS execs sitting around crunching the numbers when they came up with the flat-rate box idea and saying, "how many people are actually gonna ship rocks in these things??" He couldn’t have fit two more grains of sand in both of my boxes.

It's been cycling about two weeks and no joke about it taking forever to settle. Every time I mess with the tank it kicks up a sand storm that takes another 2-3 days to settle down. My fiancé rolls her eyes every time she walks by and sees it cloudy.

I also didn't rinse the stuff and I think the extra-fine silt in there is what's making it so cloudy, but I also read that's where most of the good nutrients and trace elements come from. So I left it in there and figured it would eventually mix in to the sand.

5. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

i have it and rinsed it very well. I haven't had a single sandstorm and the initial cloudiness took 24 hrs to clear. I have 2 koralia evo 1400 powerheads. They have caused all my sand to shift depending on where i placed them, but now that i have placement figured out, and it has filmed up, it doesn't move at all unless my clowns play in it, lol

6. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

I have it and it does take forever to settle. Even now, if I slightly move a rock or my clown gets pissed off, the sand goes everywhere. Im under the impression that the finer the sand the better so I'll rate this sand an 8. Only reason it's not a 10 is the sandstorming.. Marco rocks is awesome

7. boostednlinefor

boostednlinefor Fire Worm

newguy how old is your tank? december 2010?

8. Click Here!

9. justjosh

justjosh Plankton

I had it in my tank since October and, although it looked nice, my powerheads would push it all over the place. I finally got sick of it and added another two inches of larger grain sand. Maybe it would look really nice in a low flow tank but I really didn't like the look of sand dunes forming in my tank!

10. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

Yes that's when I transferred everything. As the bacteria develops in the sand bed it all settles down unless something disturbs it. I have a lot of flow in my tank and I don't find the flow to be a problem

11. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

I ended up purchasing 160lbs. While it's very fine, as you stated, it's extremely dusty and takes a long time to settle. I'm not so sure I'm sold at this moment in time.

12. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

I'm looking at this stuff too, any updates on it? Is it settled nicely?