Sand cleaners

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by MagReef, May 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

That make a great point I found long ago if I took and laid my SPS frags flat and not stand them on ends I got far better growth rates . As they could and did lay their base down a lot faster .. I got to thinking yrs ago with my buddy and I where on a trip to the islands to dive It was after a huge storm Hugo about 95 97 or so ? there was broken corals every where laying flat .. wedged into crack and crannies of places .. I tried that when I got home it does make a difference but people don't like buying them laying down they want them standing up..

2. Click Here!

3. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Hi! I can help to get my 2 cents in, I've lived in Levittown, PR right on the north shore and Hugo came inland but we normally get from 3 to 6 Hurricanes a year that just miss the island by few to hundreds of miles which are farther more harmful to the reef than than the ones close to shore, all this mainly does is clean the sea floor from decaying organisms.
    the force of the waves crashing on the reef makes a very strong fishy smell, I otta know I have surf and dived most of my life, as you watch the way many corals get fragged, this is not much different, this helps propagation, fish and inverts benefit from this process, many time is man the one we have to blame for coral casualties. I wish I had a pic from my tank just yesterday, when I had it inside out, took care of my diatom algae
    scrub rocks and stir the crap out of my sand, till I couldn't see 5" through the glass in a couple of hours was murky and this morning is clear as a bell.
    The bottom line is that the hurricane in your 100g fish tank don't need to break the corals or harm anything in it, and your bacteria colony might actually appreciated, It's all in how much water you move per hour.
    The shores are always changing around the islands, and there for waters
    crystal clear

>))))*> >))))*>