sand bed

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by privateer, Apr 12, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. privateer

privateer Plankton

Well I finally got some sand. Its not aragonite,its silca sandblasting sand. Its very fine and a little on the dark side ,but too bad. I put 200 lbs of it in the tank and 20 lbs of the wet live sand to get things started. Fingers are crossed hoping it work [smiley=thinking2.gif]s.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[glow=red, 2, 100%]Good luck! Keep us posted on how thing go.[/glow]

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

4. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Brown, 2, 80%]Hey privateer,

Man, I hate to burst your bubble, but you should probably perform some tests before you feel completely satisfied with your sand.

I would run a Salifert Silicate Test (MarineDepot @ $16.00), as well as some tests on phosphates, copper, pH, alk, other heavy metals (I've seen a test but don't know who makes it).
    [/glow]

[glow=Brown, 2, 80%]Silica sand might leach silcates and phosphates into your tank -- not just once, but constantly. You would have an algae nightmare. So, I would put the sand in a tank, fill it with water, let it run for several hours, and then start testing it like a mad scientist.

Good Luck!!! And keep us posted !!!
    [/glow]

5. privateer

privateer Plankton

Oh geeez...........now they tell me! hehe I am not that worried about silica, I am of opinion that my tank is made of silica and all that. I may be wrong,but the sand is in there, and I aint' taking it out unless it goes south. [smiley=toilet.gif] Like I said, I got my fingers crossed.

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

actually thats becomin a big argument with the silica sand. its not supposed to be as bad of an alge producer as it was thought to be. just try it out and see how it goes

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I heard the same thing Karla. Big debate whether it does anything or not now because of some research (which I can't recall. lol.) that was done.

8. Click Here!

9. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

If either one of you find an article or a thread on that somewhere, please post it so I can read it. I am very skeptical about silica sand, and would in no way use it in my tank. However, if you have seen evidence to the contrary, I will hold my judgment until all the facts are in... ;D

10. privateer

privateer Plankton