Sand Bed

Discussion in 'Sand' started by NutsnBolts, Feb 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NutsnBolts

NutsnBolts Plankton

I'm new to reef keeping and I was wondering if it matters what kind of sand I put in the tank I have a Nano 28. Does it need to be course or sugar fine or does it not even matter?

2. Click Here!

3. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

Really depends on what you want to keep in there. Softbelly sand dwellers with need fine but anything that stays in the watrr column won't care. If ur doing coral only, bare bottom is an option because flow wont stir up a sand bed if you dont have one!

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Personally I like a larger grain then fine. Fine blows around the tank too easily and seems to be more prone to chronic cyanobacteria issues in my experience. This is what I have used in the past and like

CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand

Moved to ------- Sand.

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I would go with that sand Corailline posted.
    I have the fine oolite. It has been a pain in the butt. I did learn to get it under control though. There's a trick to rock placement to keep it from going all over. If you don't have high flow it may not matter so much but still not worth the headache. Best to go with medium.
    I bought it because it's super white and beautiful. The only other real benefit is you can get deep sand bed benefits from only 1-3 inches... and that may be why people get cyano so much. The densely packed sand harbors bacteria easier.

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I agree with Coralline...I prefer something with a larger grain size, such as #3 or #1 grade aragonite. Both of these options "lay down" better than sugar-fine/oolitic grades (no "sandstorms"), but won't trap detritus like crushed coral. These grades are also a whole lot easier to prewash.

Our fave brand is TideLine, as the grains are smooth, and it requires very little in the way of prewashing.