Same Fish New Problems...Opinions? Ich?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by jkirven06, Sep 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

Alright so my tank recently went under some stress due to stray voltage. I added a ground probe and that solved the issue and all fish went back to acting like their normal selves. However, I quickly noticed these spots (in the pictures). I am suspecting ICH but wanted to get some other opinions in case these can be caused simply by stress before I go through the whole process of removing and treating the fish for ICH. So basically, opinions? Suggestions? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I see white specks on the fish but I can not tell if it's ich or sand. Should look like grains of salt all over the fish.

Are these the only fish? Because it would be pointless to remove just those 2 fish and treat them, add to that you are going to have to leave the tank without any fish for roughly 8 weeks.

Do you have a QT tank, and what treatment option would you use?

4. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

If I determine it to be Ich I have a QT tank, was looking into using Cupramine to treat in the quarantine and do the 8 week fallow in the DT. But definitely want to get positive identification before going through all that. I am seeing the spots on the two clowns. They have shown up on my bi-color blenny yet though so I am still hopeful it isn't ich. But then again I know its not always visible off the bat...so I'm pulling all the info I can to make a final diagnosis before chasing fish around the tank and putting it on lock down for 2 months.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If you are reading stray voltage there is a problem.Using a grounding probe should only be a precaution not a cure.Is the outlet grounded??Is there a gfi??

6. Corailline

7. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

The socket is grounded, ill be putting a GFI in there to run further tests on the voltage. Also checking the ground to the socket for maybe a lost connection somewhere. The probe is indeed just my backup/failsafe which is keeping the voltage away for the time being to keep the fish happy and the voltage out of my tank. Basically, buying time for trouble shooting. And then I ran into the described problem of the spots.

8. Click Here!

9. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

10. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

So looking at them this morning before work I have decided that they are definitely suffering form ICH they are salted all down their sides and fins now with the spots its depressing looking. I will be quarantining all fish when I get home. So I have done a lot of reading but just want to confirm a few questions before I start the endeavor of an 8 week fallow and treatment:

Can the inverts stay in the DT during the Fallow?
    What is better, copper or low salinity treatment?
    Does the ICH just die out of the main display after the 8 weeks, even with inverts in there? I am a little unclear about how the ICH actually gets out of the tank/dies off.

Thanks again for all the help

11. Corailline

I posted to your other thread. Research dosing and levels thoroughly as well as adverse reactions and interventions.

12. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

Yea I realized I put the response in the wrong thread and moved it haha. Thanks I will research that.