Salvaged Acros and monti, think they'll make it?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Magnus, May 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I just went to my LFS and had a bunch of corals that were half way dead in their rubble rock bin. Most of them still have flesh on the body and tips, but almost none had any polyps out. Of course, the light they were under were just fluorescent lights. I just bought a bunch of them for $0.50 a pound and will see if they make it. I got 2 pounds all together, so I think if there's a chance that one or two will make it, it's very well worth my $1.25 investment. I'm getting them glued on disks right now.

I looked thoroughly and could not find worms or anything bad, but you never know.... so I'll put them in a 1 gallon Tupperware under my light and I'm planning to do a cup or two of water change ever other day. Think this will be enough to see if they make it?

If not, should I put them in my tank? I hope they survive. I was told that once coral starts dying, it probably won't come back. What are your thoughts?

- Mag.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

anything is possible... just hope for em :) even if one makes it, its a good investment

4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Cant hurt to try...I think it is actually MORE rewarding when one of those type makes it back to health and then thrives. Gives you a sense of accomplishment!!!! Way to go.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Best of luck on your venture

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

A picture paints 1000 words, Magnus

if you can get a picture up that would be good
    a they can frag corals like acros and montis and good corals grow from 1 inch sections
    then I believe there is a chance some if not all of your corals would make it

Steve

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Awesome Magnus! Hope the best for your corals. You never know. I wish my LFS would do that but once it gets to the point of worth less than 1/2 price the pitch the stonies in a vat of fresh water then sell the pieces as 'coral skeleton' for 1.99/lb.

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Well... you're not gonna like this... But she's out for a whole week and has the camera. And to make it even worse , the adaptor so I can plug this phone memory chip into my computer is lost. I searched up and down without luck.

I promise I'll upload All my pictures if I manage to find the little chip adapter.

I seriously need my own camera :(

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

borrow your neighbors! i wanna see the new lights!!! ;)

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Cool pickup, hopefully they bounce back. I would try to dip them in some sort of iodine dip. It will help kill any bacteria on them and kill of some unwanted pests.

12. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I think you should ship them all to me - so I can take pics for ya!
    Yah! thats it :jester:

At $.50 a pound it would probably be worth the $30 shipping even if only a few of them survive :)