Salty salty??

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Jonreefy, Apr 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jonreefy

Jonreefy Astrea Snail

Ok, I'm glad you guy can help me. I have a 40 gal reef-in-progress with roughly 30-35lb. of live rock I'm am goin to add more rock with some corals eventually. I have the Coralife aqualight 1 96 watt 960nm antinic and 1 96 watt 50-50 (10k and 460nm) a bak pak skimmer and a emperor bio-wheel (w/out the wheel in it) I am just in the closing stages of a hair algae battle (it was BAD!!!!!) and and using carbon and phos-lock in my bio-wheel. I have
    0 nitrite
    0 nitate
    pH 8.0-8.3
    Alk 280-350ppm (usually over 300 on test dip strips)
    Sal SG 1.024-1.025
    Phosphate 0ppm
    Thats all i test.

Ok, now to the problem I have mushroom corals, zoanthids, a green star polyp colony and a pink flower pot coral. (Which is doing well)
    The star polyp and the flowerpot look fine (flowerpot is fading a little) but all my other corals (mushroom and zoa's ) are shrunk up and losing their color. (Flowerpot not shrunk but fading) My zoa's and mushrooms looked great when I got them but now they look terrible all faded and shrunken. The zoa's still open, and spread a little (I think). I have added I small bottle of Purple Up and a 16oz bottle of Purple Tech and I only have one weak little patch of Coralline. I even added some coralline from a friends tank. No Coralline growth at all. I started dosing small amounts of (2 little fishies) iodine (looked like some zoas had a little more color) and some Reef Calcium last week. This week I am dosing 2 ml of iodine (recommended amount for 40gal) and 10 ml of Calcium (recommended amount). The tank is my first and it's been running for 2 years ( hair algae outbreak when I upgraded the lighting from 20watt strip to 192watt coralife) and I did alot of stuff wrong when I started (killed sand, but got live sand to put in it) and it was 6 months running before I added my first damsel. Fish and stuff are healthy
    Royal Gamma
    Yellow Tail damsel
    Brittle star
    Coral Banded Shrimp
    1 astreus snail
    Various blue leg hermits (5 I think)
    Can anybody help me?:confused::cry:

Ok this is from a different post BUT..... cold the problem be my salt?? I use instant ocean but I've read that a good salt mix supplies a majority of trace elements and stuff. I'm considering Reef Crystals. What do you guys and gals think??

2. Click Here!

3. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

I hand dose my tank with dry powder like stuff like calcium and others. I put one pinch from the first bag, wait 24 hours, then another pinch from the second bag. My friend is a high school chemistry teacher who gives me it. That might be your problem, not dosing enough, or your lights are too strong.

4. Jonreefy

Jonreefy Astrea Snail

What stuff do you dose?? Can you explain my coral shriviling??

5. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

I dose calcium one day and carbonate the next day, then I dose magnesium once a week. It might also be the your snails and other things crwl on them. Mine do that all the time. :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

i have the same problem i have a 30g breeder tank with 135watts of light on my tank. 8 hours at a time. i started tp dos my tank with calcium.

and i use a photofate remover. and it has only been a week and i can see that the hair algae is under control and my corals are starting to come out.

7. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

What test kits are you using? You might want to get a second opinion maybe take a sample to your LFS for them to test.;)